Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Premium Member
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its almost time to buy a winch for my project and I've been looking around the interwebs a good bit but I'm still having a hard time deciding what I want. Most of the info I have dug up on pirate is old and dated by now. so what would you buy and why? I am not interested in buying a used one and my budget is pretty open for this. I typically want the best bang for the buck.

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
Just got a warn 9.5 xp-s no complaints. Comes with wireless remote so i used the handheld cut it up and made a dash switch too.

·
Registered
12,603 Posts
I still say a decent used 8274 if you can fit it. I had the 9.5 xp motor and rope on mine. I liked having the extra reach with 150' of line and the speed was amazing.

I did recently put a 9.5 cti-s warn on my little DD 4runner, it's a little too clean to hack the grill and hood for an 8274 :flipoff2: speed wise it's comparable to the 8274. I did score it new but 2nd hand for about $900, new they are something dumb like $1600.

I also have a HF 9k I put on a beater, the guy was able to double up the sale and coupon, so I got it for like $200 :laughing: it works fine for what it is, slow obviously. The fair lead is cheesy as fuck, barely bump a rock and its bent. Being able to warranty it at a local store is nice.

·
P.B.A.
4,325 Posts
8274 used if packaging isnt an issue. Like stated above.

M8000 used if packaging is an issue. I haven’t spent over $200 and I have 6 winches some almost brand new. Just watch Craigslist like a hawk and be willing to drive.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I think it depends on what your using the winch for. I have a J10 on tons and 42's blah blah blah that I built for recreation. Even did UA2011. Had HF/Chinese winches on the front for years. Slow but would pull me through rocks/snows etc.

Now I'm building a log cabin offgrid on 8 acres and use a rear mounted 8274 with chinese wireless to pull in logs and firewood. I use the truck for utility purposes on my property. No way would I even attempt a HF winch for pulling logs around. Too slow and they would burn up. I just keep adding oil to my 8274 and it keeps working.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've got the HF Badlands ZXR 9K on my Samurai and it's yet to fail me on the trail or using it around the yard.

I paid for the extra warranty and with most HF not asking a question when you blow it up, I'm not too worried.

·
Registered
4,073 Posts
With the size of your rig I'd go no smaller than 12k front, 10k rear.
If you want a good wench you gotta spend the coin. With that said, i have a 12k smitty on the front of my old rig. Works great, slow, but I'm not in competition, so no biggie imo. Not sure what I'll do on the new truck since the wife is now making me fix up the old truck plus build the new one.

·
Premium Member
3,942 Posts
No way would I even attempt a HF winch for pulling logs around. Too slow and they would burn up. I just keep adding oil to my 8274 and it keeps working.
Why do you think the HF would burn up faster than the equivalent Warn?

They fail because they come with crap in them from the factory and QC is nonexistent so people occasionally get gearboxes that eat themselves over time. The motor is as high quality as any other winch motor at least that's what everyone says. I've never done a side by side comparison.

·
Registered
508 Posts
As much as I hate to admit it, that new(ish) 12k APEX winch from HF is proving to be a pretty tidy winch... I know several folks that have been running them for months now with a lot of use during the snow wheeling season, and all reports have been positive. $550 with the coupon and it comes with synthetic rope and rash guards too, pretty good deal overall.

·
Premium Member
7,192 Posts
If you have the money buy a warn or ramsey, Buying Chinese is because you can't afford or don't need a better quality winch. Going out of your way to buy Chinese if you can afford better is just retarded and not in anyones long term best interest.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Why do you think the HF would burn up faster than the equivalent Warn?

They fail because they come with crap in them from the factory and QC is nonexistent so people occasionally get gearboxes that eat themselves over time. The motor is as high quality as any other winch motor at least that's what everyone says. I've never done a side by side comparison.
they work fine, but I think they would burn up because they get hot after repeated use. by repeated, I mean pretty constant. I burnt up one while winching out of very deep snow. they also get moisture trapped in the motors which doesn't help.

·
Premium Member
29,441 Posts
best bang for your buck?

gigglepin dual motor.

·
Premium Member
29,441 Posts
I’m not ruling anything out lol
something dual motor is going to run faster and cooler and longer than any of the other single motor options, they are based on the warn design and with a full size truck, you've got the space

1 - 20 of 41 Posts