Pirate 4x4 banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
P.B.A.
4,325 Posts
I was really looking for something new, I dont wanna mess with the meth heads around here. I see warn offers the 8274 new but it comes with a pretty big ticket.
They’re really easy to work on. I did what was stated above 8274, 9,5xp motor, Albright solenoid and rope And new seals and painted it. $600ish total into it. And it’s basically a new winch.

·
Registered
12,603 Posts
Only $2600 for a winch :flipoff2:

I think part of the beauty of the 8274 is you can find decent ones for ~$500. Or rough ones for $50 at a yard sale if you get lucky. It's cheap and easy to rebuild and up grade.

I am curious about that new one though, I'd imagine it's bad ass.

BTW, I know the 8274 is rated for 8k, but I'd say it pulls as strong or stronger than most 10k winches. We had one on an old square body Chevy as a kid, dually, huge flatbed, boxes, huge rack that tied into the front bumper to carry 20'+ material. It had no problem dragging that thing through the mud up to the frame.

·
Premium Member
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I have no doubt that I can work on it. My issue is that because of the internet, everyone knows the price for an 8274. So after I fork out 1K for an old crusty winch I’ll have to buy a motor and a rope. When I could just get a new on that will likely be just fine although not as fast. Rope length doesn’t really concern me. I carry a 100’ synthetic line to use for an extension if needed.

·
Registered
7,364 Posts
I have no doubt that I can work on it. My issue is that because of the internet, everyone knows the price for an 8274. So after I fork out 1K for an old crusty winch I’ll have to buy a motor and a rope. When I could just get a new on that will likely be just fine although not as fast. Rope length doesn’t really concern me. I carry a 100’ synthetic line to use for an extension if needed.
Then buy an RC9.

·
Registered
109 Posts
If you are even entertaining gigglepin winches, red winches are worth a look. That said, I have a superwinch s9000 that has served me well on a jku for 8-9 years. The only thing I've had to do to it was switch to synthetic after kicking the steel cable.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
I’m leaning towards a new Warn Zeon 10k for my Jeep with synthetic rope. I was debating a Platinum but they want a fair bit of coin for just adding a fancy wireless remote. Never really been in a situation where I would have loved a wireless over the standard wired remote.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Only $2600 for a winch :flipoff2:

I think part of the beauty of the 8274 is you can find decent ones for ~$500. Or rough ones for $50 at a yard sale if you get lucky. It's cheap and easy to rebuild and up grade.

I am curious about that new one though, I'd imagine it's bad ass.

BTW, I know the 8274 is rated for 8k, but I'd say it pulls as strong or stronger than most 10k winches. We had one on an old square body Chevy as a kid, dually, huge flatbed, boxes, huge rack that tied into the front bumper to carry 20'+ material. It had no problem dragging that thing through the mud up to the frame.
Yep. I've run one for years and just picked up a second one in great condition for my other Jeep at a pretty decent price. Original owner with the Jeep logo on it and brand new cable for $600. I didn't care about the cable since I switched it to rope but the Jeep logo is fairly rare now so I thought it was worth it. I agree that they pull great, love the speed and since I'm an old fuck - I just like them. :D

Iirc it has the xp motor and Albright solenoid. I thought it came with rope too? But I agree it will put pull it’s rated weight easily.
Yep on both items.

·
Registered
12,603 Posts
Not true, I live in probably the highest priced area in the country for crawler type parts. 35 year old gm 60 and 14b will sell like hotcakes at $1800.

I bought mine, in great shape for $500, looked barely used, still had a cover on it. My father in law found one at a yard sale with no remote for $75.

I just looked at one in great shape for $800 obo.

I think with the boom in cheap winches, most people think a new HF or smittybuilt is better than some old "huge" winch.

Just don't forget it will block all air flow to your radiator :rolleyes:

·
Registered
570 Posts
Not true, I live in probably the highest priced area in the country for crawler type parts. 35 year old gm 60 and 14b will sell like hotcakes at $1800.

I bought mine, in great shape for $500, looked barely used, still had a cover on it. My father in law found one at a yard sale with no remote for $75.

I think with the boom in cheap winches, most people think a new HF or smittybuilt is better than some old "huge" winch.

LOL I hear that all the time. Funny how my LS manages to stay cool. :rolleyes:

RE good prices, they are out there. My buddy just picked one up at a local auction for around $250. And on the flip side, right after I bought mine with the Jeep logo, I had someone offer me $1200 for it.

·
Premium Member
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
LOL I hear that all the time. Funny how my LS manages to stay cool. :rolleyes:

RE good prices, they are out there. My buddy just picked one up at a local auction for around $250. And on the flip side, right after I bought mine with the Jeep logo, I had someone offer me $1200 for it.

Well if your buddy wants to sell it, get ahold of me.

·
Premium Member
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #34

I think my issue is the very narrow market for that stuff near me. Everyone that has enough money has a SXS. Everyone else doesn’t have any money.

·
Premium Member
1,379 Posts
Personally I like the M series Warns. Especially on a full size. I have an M12000 on the front of my rig and a M10000 on the rear that I have been using on 7000 plus pound rigs for 20 years. And they were used when I bought them. Twice I've torn them down and cleaned and greased them but no new parts. Probably a little small for the rig they're on now but nothing a snatch block won't fix.

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Warn Industrial Series 18 hydraulic or higher. I don't think you'll find a more reliable, capable winch mande. With a good snatchblock, that winch will pull you up a tree and not get hot. It won't fail unexpectedly, and with proper maintenance, it won't fail at all. I've been using mine for over 15 years without an issue. Part number 74125.

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
I've got the HF Badlands ZXR 9K on my Samurai and it's yet to fail me on the trail or using it around the yard.

I paid for the extra warranty and with most HF not asking a question when you blow it up, I'm not too worried.
Remember, he has a truck, not a utv.

·
Premium Member
7,192 Posts
Warn Industrial Series 18 hydraulic or higher. I don't think you'll find a more reliable, capable winch mande. With a good snatchblock, that winch will pull you up a tree and not get hot. It won't fail unexpectedly, and with proper maintenance, it won't fail at all. I've been using mine for over 15 years without an issue. Part number 74125.
Remember he has a wheeling rig, not a 18 wheel dump truck

·
Registered
17 Posts
For classic lines and parts availability I vote for a used or new 8274 if the price is right. On the other hand I also have heard that the new HF Apex 12k winch is stout and no reported failures yet. Plus being able to drive 20 minutes to the store to buy one is always nice.

·
Premium Member
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
I ended up getting the Harbor Freight Apex 12k. As I was shopping around they had a pretty good coupon for it and I was able to get it shipped with the extended warranty for just less than $500. At that price point it is very difficult to pass up. I’ll try to remember to report back with my experience. If it sucks I’ll move it to my trailer and buy an 8274.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts