Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to this forum. Just bought a '79 3/4 K20 square body full time. I believe it has a TH350 and a NP 203 but haven't confirmed. I want to ditch the 203 in favor of a 205. Will the existing TH 350 have the correct tail shaft? (correct splines and length) Do all these trucks have a TH350 or do some have a TH400? Is this a difficult job for a shade tree mechanic?

Attachments

Reactions: 77c10squarebody

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do I need a housing or drive sleeve? Does the 205 have to be specific to the TH350 ? I assume the 205 has to be 27 spline? Thanks!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sounds like I could get all these parts if I found a NP205 already mated to a TH350? Then I would know it would all mate to my TH350? Since I am not a professional mechanic, this would be a lot easier than trying to collect all the parts separately. I am guessing it wouldn't be hard to find a 205 mated to a TH350?

·
blatant asshole
12,967 Posts
Meh. Depending on your budget and location.
Sm465 are the most common and could be used if you swap the input shaft.

Ord and aa make new adapters and couplers are easy enough.
More than anything else you just need a small bearing fig8 bolt pattern case.
Multiple gm and dodge 23spl can all work.

Where are you.
Theres several th350 205s around nor cal.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Meh. Depending on your budget and location.
Sm465 are the most common and could be used if you swap the input shaft.

Ord and aa make new adapters and couplers are easy enough.
More than anything else you just need a small bearing fig8 bolt pattern case.
Multiple gm and dodge 23spl can all work.

Where are you.
Theres several th350 205s around nor cal.
charlotte, NC

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
charlotte, NC
Double checking:

When I remove the existing NP 203, will the TH350 have a 27 spline tail shaft the right length for sure???

If so:

Then I need a NP 205 with 27 splines or any small bearing figure 8 NP 205 and install AA adaptor/coupler???

·
Registered
1977 chevy k10
745 Posts
New to this forum. Just bought a '79 3/4 K20 square body full time. I believe it has a TH350 and a NP 203 but haven't confirmed. I want to ditch the 203 in favor of a 205. Will the existing TH 350 have the correct tail shaft? (correct splines and length) Do all these trucks have a TH350 or do some have a TH400? Is this a difficult job for a shade tree mechanic?
I bolted a 208 to a th350 and all I had to change was the output shaft because it was a 2wd transmission

·
blatant asshole
12,967 Posts
Ad is a lil confusing so im not sure exactly whats for sale or the price but this would fit in a flat rate and set you up

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
New questions, for my '79 3/4:

I want a simple 4" lift and use truck as a daily driver. (reliable and streetable, non-extreme off-road use)

1) Do I need a new steering arm or any other new steering parts?

2) Will I need longer drive shafts and do I need double cardan joints at the transfer case?

3) Do I need longer brake lines?

4) For non-extreme off road use, do I need anything else?

5) What is the best spring kit?

·
blatant asshole
12,967 Posts
New questions, for my '79 3/4:

I want a simple 4" lift and use truck as a daily driver. (reliable and streetable, non-extreme off-road use)

1) Do I need a new steering arm or any other new steering parts? yes, youll need a steering arm for the axle or a drop drag link, both are easy to get.

2) Will I need longer drive shafts and do I need double cardan joints at the transfer case? your existing drive shaft might work out pretty good on the 205+ the lift kit.

3) Do I need longer brake lines? you can move your existing hard lines down under the frame and have plenty for dd use.

4) For non-extreme off road use, do I need anything else? sway bar drop blocks or end link of somesort. I just tear that garbage off on my trucks.

5) What is the best spring kit? best is speculative. I never buy lift springs. I use 52" rears and stack layers as needed. But i also want flex and soft ride.

just get a skyjacker or some other cheap kit with stiff springs so youre not tearing half built stuff off.
Shocks, ubolts, shackle bushings and bolts are not always included.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Having trouble finding a 205, so will have to install after I do the lift and body work.

So, to be clear, using to 203 (for now) the stock rear shaft should work without modification?

Also, no reason to use double cardan joints?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts