Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
205 No front drive in low/ Found It!!

Went to back up on a ride the other day and didn't have 4 wheel low to the front. It worked when I parked there. Played with the shifters for a while and got it to work. For a few feet. I thought no big deal, I put it in 4 high and the Klune-V in low and finished the day. Thinking I would check the cable adjustment later.

Upon further inspection and checking the cables and their adjustment, still no front low. The shift rail looks to be traveling all the way in, judging by the clean and wet versus dirty and dry on the the rail.

Any ideas on why no front low so suddenly? Does/can the shift fork wear to the point of no engagement like that?

I want to gather a plan of attack before taking the truck out of commission fully. Of course it is a pain in the ass to get the tc out of the truck or even get the inspection cover off. Cover is on the wrong end also.

Scott

·
4X4 HACK
2,970 Posts
Pin or damaged fork...my guess. Or the slide clutch splines if not your cables. Your gonna have to take it apart

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
you wont be able to see shit through the pto cover or just the rear cover for the front output.

Cover is bitch to put back on, not?

if you really really fucking forced it you might have sheared the roll pin for the front fork.

Would the neutral and high still work if I sheared the pin?

odds are you just dont have the cable adjusted or you may have broken the cable.

Moves from neutral to high just fine. High is pulling and low is pushing.

you can pull the front output with out removing the case but its a pain to re-install.
That's what i have heard and remember. A lot easier to do on the bench

I figured as much that I would have to pull it. I was just grasping for something that might indicate otherwise....

Thanks for the thoughts.

Scott

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Found the Problem

Had some wiring harness issues, got that fixed. Took it to one more play day. We were playing Nascar in a snow covered bean field when it started to smoke. Pulled over and I was on fire. Trans vent got fluid in it and sprayed through breather all over engine. We got it out quickly but it sure melted enough shit.:mad3:

Long story short, had additional excuses to tear into stuff. Got T case down and opened it up. The snap ring on the rear end of the front output shaft was broken. Which then allows all of the little roller bearings to abandon ship causing low gear gear to slip down and not engage. Seams a little fishy why that snap ring would break, does not look like there is a lot of stress on it.

Anyway, some rash on low range gears, will have to swap them out with spares.

Scott

·
Premium Member
7,110 Posts
There are 2 types of snaprings, c clip style and snap ring style. The snap ring style are better. I think all the 32 spline shafts come with them and the 10 spline shafts have the crappier c clip style.

Sometimes when the clips are removed, they get stretched out and dont seat real well upon reassembly. I keep a pile and toss all the stretched ones.

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I put the 32 spline shaft in the front, from the 30 spline. I can not remember who I got it from but it did not come with a new clip, just had the c that was in there. I will look for a snap ring style to put back.

Scott

·
Registered
8,039 Posts
snap ring failure is generally due to the front driveshaft bottoming out.

low range failure can be a few things... this case... I would test the shift rod by hand... if you can move it, you broke the pin, or the shift fork.

having broken an np205 in half, i might know what the hell im talking about.. (edit:, and trkklr77 is right, a massive bang WILL be heard upon detrimental failure.) shift fork pins are easy to fix..

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I will check the front shaft slip when it is all back together. ORD is sending me a snap ring, THANKS again.

I noticed while swapping stuff around that the small pin sticking up out of the output shaft had been sheared off as well. It appears to engage the thrust washer and force it to rotate with the shaft. I assume it is an oiling thing. That little bugger is really jammed in there. The pin in the parts case came right out. Going to have to try and drill it out.

Scott

1 - 8 of 8 Posts