Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just heard of someone on my local board makin a doubler out of a 208 and a 205? he said he wanted to strip down the 208 for its reduction box? isnt the 208 all one piece except for a split down the center of the chaincase? has anyone had any experience with doubling a 208?

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
well one guy here did(ks bronco i think)...but iirc, he busted er. but i think he removed the tail housing and had it custom flanged from the back of the 208 complete with the 205 bolted to it. theres only four bolts to connect the custom extension housing to the 208, and that 205 is one heavy beeotcha. if you built a cradle to hold the two together it would probably work pretty good.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
You use a SY 208, cut the front output off, weld a patch on the hole, trim about 2" off the shaft, make an adapter and a cradle and everything should work. I have the parts, just need time.

Justin

·
Registered
131 Posts
Just found this thread while doing a search for something else...

Im doing a 208/205 doubler as well but, what im doing is taking everything out of the 208 case except the planitaries, cutting off the front output and getting a plate cut that will bolt to the case using the holes where the 2 halfs bolt together, as well the plate will have the 205 pattern cut into it so its able to bolt to it. For the mainshaft im taking the 208 and a NP435 output, cutting to the proper lengths and TIG welding them together.

·
Registered
205 Posts
costs and time,huh?

lets just say it was more than it was worth.and like bobbywalter said,you need a cradle or mount of some sort to carry the weight of the 205-the doubler wont do it.

·
Registered
416 Posts
still vary ingenius. Post up again after some trial time.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Ive built my self one too, real FARMER too, I used a married 208 , cut the front output side off and welded her up, and all the way around the seam. Gotta fill er up through the speedo hole. If I ever need to repair it, everything can come out of the rear, exept the ring gear, besides its a hack job If it ever breaks Ill make a new one. Tom that is a SEXY unit. Im running a divorced 205 though.

·
Registered
21 Posts
St Ranger - Nice work!! You need to make a Kit Man!!! Whoa that would sell! a 205-208 Doubler!

·
Premium Member
3,960 Posts
so how much support does the 205 really need?

I have a mount on my 13-56/205 doubler, but I don't have a mount on the 205 itself, like ford used from the facotry. Is that side mount a neccecity due to the weight of the 205? or for engine torque?

Right now it has two X-members under it, one in the stock location(between the np-435 and 13-56) and one aft of it, mounted to the 13-56/205 doubler, that should be enough, right?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts