Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
most likely someone is going to tell me to use the search browser, tell me go back to stock or convert to propane. This is my last resort

i just bought a new weber from lc for my 20r and it wont start I have everything plugged except for the vacuum advance that runs to the carb. I did manage to get it to start once but it wouldn't idle and i had to keep giving it gas to keep it running. while it was running it was extremely rich (looked like a diesel rolling some coal)

i have the carb set at baseline settings (1 1/2 turns out on idle and speed screw) i have tried the regulator set at 2,3, and 4 psi with no luck to get it to run. I've also tried choke on and off with only 2 starts but no clean idle.

do i just keep trying to lean it out or do i try to re-jet it? could my vacuum advance be bad? or could i have a vacuum leak somewhere? is there any information i'm missing?

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
Lots of webers require rejetting depending on where you live. The carb you have is made for top end power. Two things, stay away from LCE, and you should have kept your Aisin carb.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Not much advice we can give you. Sounds like you already know what you need to do. But you just want a second opinion. So I say rejet it and keep tinkering with it. You will figure it out. Might take a little time and patience but keep at it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
how can i check the timing if i cant get it to start. I read a thread on marlin saying the jets it comes with are good for 1200ft elevation. I don't know much on carbs i can do the jets thats about it. i just wanted to ditch all the smog stuff and get simple.

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
how can i check the timing if i cant get it to start. I read a thread on marlin saying the jets it comes with are good for 1200ft elevation. I don't know much on carbs i can do the jets thats about it. i just wanted to ditch all the smog stuff and get simple.
Start by pulling the timing cover, and setting the engine at TDC Cyl #1 per the balancer. The dot on the sprocket for the cam shot be at the 11 O' clock position when viewed from the front.

If it's not... Then time to wedge a piece of wood down between the timing chain and guides, loosen the cam crank, and align it properly. If it is, then pull the distributor cap and check that it's pointing to the #1 cylinder

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok i got it to start but it needs the choke to be on. when its choked it sits at 2700 to 3000rpm it varies as soon as you take the choke off it dies if you give it gas it blows blake smoke like a diesel so it seems too rich but ive tried playing with the mixture screw and it doesnt help at all. i dont think the timings off but ill check tomorrow. ( damn work always gets in the way) a friend of mine said i might have a vacuum leak somewhere so ill get the propane torch out and check tomorrow as well.

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
That sounds seriously like a timing problem.
When I swapped a motor into my last toy with a Weber, I had set the Weber to factory settings and with the timing set by hand/ear it even started and idled. It was rich until I adjusted, but not that bad.
Every time I had timing off a tooth on the chain it would barely start, and if it did u had to keep rpms above idle or it would die.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
All right I'm going to check the timing for sure peow130 thanks for the advice I really appreciate it. Yeah it has a brand new fuel pressure reg set at 2psi. I'll get back on and let you guys know the out come. Again thanks for all the advice.

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
I know it's brand new carb but it sounds like the float is not adjusted right. It's letting in too much fuel and spilling fuel into the venturi. Same thing will happen if it's stuck open and it only takes a small particle to do that. What's your alltitude and any mods to the engine

·
Registered
10 Posts
Did you follow the installation instructions to a tee? Redline Weber has tuning info. My 32/36 and 38 ran like tractors until I got them tuned and jetted. The manifold adapter that comes with the kits are prone to vacuum leaks (Hylomar works great for sealing) and they are not that easy to tune and jet correctly. I am very happy with mine after spending a half day re-jetting etc. :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts