Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put a used motor in that was imported from japan about 4 years ago and the time has come to rebuild it. A buddy of mine told me that the 21RU has all kinds of diffrent little "BUGS" I guess you could say (i.e. berings and seals) than the 22r. I plan on getting a master rebuid kit, and i need to know if anybody can conferm these diffrences that have been mentiod to me and if so what rebuild kit do i need to get? Is there a special kit somwhere specifically for the 21RU? Any and all help would be appreciated. Thank you for your help and knowledge.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
rockcrawlinredneck said:
I put a used motor in that was imported from japan about 4 years ago and the time has come to rebuild it. A buddy of mine told me that the 21RU has all kinds of diffrent little "BUGS" I guess you could say (i.e. berings and seals) than the 22r. I plan on getting a master rebuid kit, and i need to know if anybody can conferm these diffrences that have been mentiod to me and if so what rebuild kit do i need to get? Is there a special kit somwhere specifically for the 21RU? Any and all help would be appreciated. Thank you for your help and knowledge.

dude... don't waste ANY money on it... search teh for sale sections and get a 22r!

·
Registered
515 Posts
Throw the 21 RU away. It was never imported to the USA and will never pass a smog visual inspection.

Besides that, it is small on torque and displacement (2.0 liters).

Do not spend any dough on this engine. It is a dead end.

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
rockcrawlinredneck said:
...the 21RU has all kinds of diffrent little "BUGS" I guess you could say (i.e. berings and seals) than the 22r. I plan on getting a master rebuid kit, and i need to know if anybody can conferm these diffrences that have been mentiod to me and if so what rebuild kit do i need to get?
Never heard ANYTHING good about the 21RU and isn't there a 18RU or something similiar? The 3 or 4 people that I've seen with em hated em for lack of power and parts interchange/availability.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I have been told that my motor is PROBALLY a 21RU, how do I tell the diffrence in the 21RU and the 22R. I was told tonight by a buddy of mine that it may not be a 21RU, that the place I got it from often just has motors yanked out of wrecked cars from the pick and pull, and claim there 30,000 mile motors from japan. So how do I tell the diffrence? How can I be sure wich motor I actually have? Any and all advice and help will be greatly appriciated.:confused:

·
Registered
35 Posts
there should be a, little I.d. spot on the ehxaust manifold side of the motor. If it is a 21ru it will say "21R", if it's a 20 or 22r it will say. I will be the first to admit the 21RU is kinda gay motor, but the price seems to be always good on them and JDM motors, are usaully low milage motors. We actaully put one in a buddy's truck tonight and it fired right up, no less then 160 pounds of compression all the way across, and about 60 psi of oil pressure.h

·
Premium Member
30,419 Posts
i had a 21ru motor in my origanial rig. ran great, passed california smog easly and gave me no problems. would i rebuild it? nope i would get another good used motor

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
i have one in my buddys 80 with a super charger it is not the most turquie motor out there but it will rev like an animal. 6k+

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Alright should i just get another 21RU, or try to find a good running 22R, or just rebuild what I got. I might be able to get a 22R to rebuild for cheap, should i just do that?

·
Registered
477 Posts
There are some running 22Rs and 22REs for sale in the FS section...

Depends on your budget, but going with a fresh 22R/RE rebuild will guarantee you at least a couple hundred thousand miles out of it...

www.engnbldr.com has awesome prices and excellent service. I just bought a top end gasket kit, RV cam and head from engnbldr (Ted Stanwood) and I'm really happy with the power gains as well as the quality of the parts...he sells on ebay under engnbldr too...

HTH

brett

·
Premium Member
30,419 Posts
Chewbacca said:

Depends on your budget, but going with a fresh 22R/RE rebuild will guarantee you at least a couple hundred thousand miles out of it...

unless you roll it or run it on your side often enuff to smoke a bearing. my last engine that i had lasted...............one run in the back yard till she blew a rod do to running up side down.

·
Registered
60 Posts
rockcrawlinredneck said:
Well I have been told that my motor is PROBALLY a 21RU, how do I tell the diffrence in the 21RU and the 22R.
Milled flat spot on low left side of block has numbers stamped in it that identify the engine

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Right on guy's thanx for the help. I am gonna look tonight to see exactly what it is, if it is the 21RU i'm gonna try to get a 22R block from a buddy of mine to rebuild. I planned on getting a rebuild kit from engnbldr(sp) but wanted to find out for sure what I had. One more question, is there any diffrence between a 21RU head and a 22R head are they interchangable or do they have substantial(sp) diffrences that would cause a problem?

·
Registered
477 Posts
camo said:

unless you roll it or run it on your side often enuff to smoke a bearing. my last engine that i had lasted...............one run in the back yard till she blew a rod do to running up side down.
hahaha

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
the 21ru head is the same as a 20 r so find a 22r block 81-83 and put the 21ru head on it and you will have a good setup. that what i will do, but i wit machine the top of the piston down a little so the compression ratio is lower. by doing this you will get the dispacement of a 22r with the high flow of a 20r head.

CLiff

1 - 15 of 15 Posts