Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
5,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a skunk that is living under the deck, and sprays almost every night.

It's time for it to go, so I'm picking up a trap tonight to trap it. Since I'm in town, I'll have to move it to the woods behind my parents place before I can shoot him.

What would be best for dispatching the little guy? It seems that a lung shot is best if you are going for 22, but is a 12ga birdshot blast effective? Can I shoot him in the cage without having to worry about it too much, or should I wait till he wanders out?

I'd just let him go, but then he'd be someone else's problem. :homer:

·
Registered
8,853 Posts
honestly I'd haul him off and let him out down a remote road. my wife would be pissed too if i drowned it :laughing:

·
Fistful of Boomstick
45,473 Posts
12ga..slug or buck shot..point blank to the face.

Because if you lung shot a skunk with a 22 you will get chased or sprayed or both :laughing:

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
Seems like regular routine of disposing of skunks around here. I use a 22. Best thing to do is set the trap and tie a long ass rope to the cage. Be sure to tie off the other end of the rope! Once trapped drag the little sucker out back and put him down. I leave them in the cage for a few days as the buzzards will then fly in and dine. Still not sure how those buzzards can pick out the skull through the wires of the cage but they do.

·
Registered
5,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Seems like regular routine of disposing of skunks around here. I use a 22. Best thing to do is set the trap and tie a long ass rope to the cage. Be sure to tie off the other end of the rope! Once trapped drag the little sucker out back and put him down. I leave them in the cage for a few days as the buzzards will then fly in and dine. Still not sure how those buzzards can pick out the skull through the wires of the cage but they do.
I have to move it across town since we have silly firearms ordinances about shooting stuff in town.

I guess I'll see how my patience holds out after the door is open. Once he's in the woods. I don't really care if he sprays as long as he doesn't spray me. :laughing:

·
Registered
442 Posts
Whatever you do, shoot him either straight down on the noggin or from the side. Specifically not end on. And especially not with a broadhead. I know from personal experience that if you hit one of the scent sacks and rupture it that you can bury the bastard under 3 feet of dirt, spray all sorts of shit over top to try to get the smell down and it can rain for 6 months. But the woods will still stink like shit. I shot one during archery deer season and went back to the same area for the next spring turkey season. Still stunk.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
I have to move it across town since we have silly firearms ordinances about shooting stuff in town.

I guess I'll see how my patience holds out after the door is open. Once he's in the woods. I don't really care if he sprays as long as he doesn't spray me. :laughing:
In that case throw a tarp over the cage ahead of time and once trapped cover up the last side when picking it up and transporting. In case it gets smelly I put on a disposable painters suit from the local hardware store that I can quickly get out of and toss once the skunk is free(or dead).

·
Registered
296 Posts
Forget having crate him out of town. Subsonic .22 with an empty water bottle taped over the barrel at night.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I made a wooden box that my traps will fit in to drown the animals. It is big enough for the large Havahart. This uses a lot less water than filling a garbage can.

I only need to fill it 1/2 way for squirrels in the medium size trap. It goes quick if you prefill the box with water, but if you want to screw with the skunk, place the trap in the box, then fill with water.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Tarp and CO2 or nitrogen from your welding tank?

My granddad used ether (starting fluid). He said it would knock em out and then you could just carry them around making sure to keep a little on hand for when they start to wake up. I never tried it though.

·
Premium Member
17,873 Posts

·
Registered
5,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
And a local firearms misdemeanor.
I'd rather stay on the good side of the law if possible. Of course they don't seem to bother the idiots shooting off fireworks at all hours either. :homer:

The red dot on my 22/45 may be useful for something this weekend. :grinpimp:

1 - 20 of 39 Posts