Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys i am lookin at buying a 95 dodge ram with the 318 for $1900 but it has 228000 miles on it and i was wondering if that was alot for these motors? what is the milage life usualy on the 318's?

·
Premium Member
4,524 Posts
I personally think that's getting up there, but I have not owned one that long myself. (Magnum [email protected] 155k in the Dakota, LA [email protected] 210k in the RamCharger. both run strong and use very little oil)

If it still sounds right and isn't burning oil, pick it up if it's worth the short term savings. It's probably gonna cost you a bit sooner or later for wear parts and may be getting close in driveline bearings throughout...

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
I wouldn't worry so much about the motor as the rest of the driveline. With over 200k on the clock, you're probably going to need to replace a bunch of u-joints, front unit bearings, and some steering parts pretty quickly if they haven't been done yet. If the previous owner has done these things, then I would pick it up without thinking much about it. They're good trucks, but anything with that kind of mileage on it is going to have some wear and tear on the moving parts.

·
Registered
4,370 Posts
With that many miles.....the trade in soon light must be awn???:flipoff2:

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok i found another one with 136000 same age but it has a worn u-joint on the drivers side and a worn track bar but the frame and body are in better condition and this other one is a 2500

1 - 5 of 5 Posts