Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Before you get that "Search Newbie" pic ready, here is what I searched. "22R 22RE" "Knock Sensor" "22R 22RE Block" "22R Fuel Injection" "22R Fuel Swap" "1984 22R 1985 22RE" "FAQ's sticky" . . . pages, upon pages of info reaching back to 2001. . .

Second, my reading comprehension skills are poor . . . here we go.

Two 4Runners: I have a '85 22RE with a hole in the side of the block. I have a running '84 (built 6/84) with 22R. Some info in the posts state that the later '84 22R blocks will accept the EFI from the 22RE.
However, I did not read anything that said WHEN is the cutoff for early/late 22R's.

So, without changing pistons but drilling block for knock sensor, is putting the '84 22R block in the '85 truck and using the '85 EFI and wiring a direct swap? Or will pistons have to be changed from dome to flat? If pistons have to be changed, in theory, wouldn't the costs be the same just to find a 22RE short block?

Thanks in advance :) Flame On! :D

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
what does changing pistons have to do with it? im confused. put the intake from the re on the r motor and run it. look down and see if the whole is drilled for the knok sensor. am i missing something?

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Just missing that I, nor anybody I know, have worked on a Toyota -ever.

Pistons- well, that's becase most of the posts I read were regarding keeping the 22RE head. . .22R dome pistons would hit the valves int the 22RE head.

So, change the block and head from the 22R and put on the 22Re intake and problem solved? These things are that easy :confused: :D

·
Registered
487 Posts
Don't touch the head or the pistons, just pull the entire intake manifold off the dead RE stick it on the R and run it. For the knock sensor see this page, I'm running an '83 longblock with my '86 intake and it works just fine actually has quite a bit of power over the original motor.

·
Registered
9,441 Posts
no you can not put your efi on that head(the intake has a differant bolt pattern) unless you have a 83 84 celica lower efi manifold.. here is the way things work..

85 and later have a differant block and head the the 84 and earlier.. What you need to do is go to the local pick and pull and find a 83 84 celica with efi and pull of the lower intake.. it is the same from the plenum out.. so you can use the efi but it does not just bolt on to a early block..

I have done this swap before and it is not that hard.. But most people think the same as above.. just bolt it on and go.. well once they get into it they say DAMN this don't fit.. Good Luck

·
Registered
5,104 Posts
Pat , I think you could drill and tap 4 new holes in the 84 head and bolt the efi intake up ? Here is were you would need to drill the holes.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,441 Posts
I have heard of people drilling and tapping the extra holes but For us ca people with all the pick and pulls.. it is way easier to just get the lower intake.. I was just letting this guy know it is not just a bolt on deal.. as well as the exaust studs being in differant places too..:D

·
Registered
994 Posts
Thats some good info... I thought I had a 83 head but know I just relized its an 85 and up....its got the extra holes

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
The other option in an '84 21-hole head like I have. It's basically a late EFI head with open chambers. Trick I learned from Tim.;)

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Pat

Patience, please. . .

Excerpt from your first post in this thread . . ..
"85 and later have a differant block and head the the 84 and earlier.. What you need to do is go to the local pick and pull and find a 83 84 celica with efi and pull of the lower intake.. it is the same from the plenum out.. so you can use the efi but it does not just bolt on to a early block"

Just so I'm crystal clear, and to beat this subject in to the Earth,
. . .84 block and head + 83/84 EFI Celica lower intake + '85 EFI = bolt and go? So, I don't need the '85 head. . right?

I don't have the tools to retap the head or I'd go that route. I know I could pay a machine shop to do the work, but I'd probably spend just as much or less on the lower intake.

Thanks again :)

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
the open chamber head that was on my 84 carbed motor was the head with the extra holes. if you head does not have the double bolt pattern, then go find a early lower intake like pat said.

Cliff

1 - 14 of 14 Posts