Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Originally I posted this in the Newb section, but I would get a better answer here.

Problem.... I have a 95 Tacoma with the 3.4 and am looking to upgrade my motor mounts after an atlas 4 install. The Trail Gear bomb proof mounts will fit my application and will also fit eariler 22R/22RE engines. RuffStuff has 22R/22RE motor mounts listed on their site.... which leads me to believe that they would also work for my 3.4. From the pictures on both sites, the studs and the bolt holes look very similar with the frame side mounts both having slotted holes.

I would obviously rather have RuffStuff parts on my truck so if they work, I will order those

I have a stock 5vz motor mount on the shelf, so the question now is does anyone have a stock 22r/22re motor mount laying around that they can pull some dimensions off of?

Bomb Proof Motor Mount Kit - Trail Gear

Toyota 22R/22RE Motor Mount - RuffStuff Specialties

·
Premium Member
13,748 Posts
I have used lots of ruffstuff parts in the past and they were always top notch. That said the motor mount design sucks. Thin urethane transfers all the engine and drivetrain vibration straight to the frame. Weld a chain link to the shell of the stock mount, let one hang with some slack to another link welded to the frame. I've been doing that for years and it let's the stock rubber take the vibration and the chain gets tight under throttle.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I don't have any measurements but here is a comparison of the stock and the ruffstuff mounts. Like was already mentioned, they vibrate like hell. I have ran marlinized stockers and broke the torque side in the past. I personally would rather have a strong motor mount that I know isn't going to break than the chain dealio. I would buy the ruffstuff mounts again. I hope this helps.

Attachments

·
Wicked Raciest !
17,734 Posts
When I was looking at TG's motor mounts they were POS. There was interference between the two parts and the bushing was some weird design. I got my mounts from Dave'z Offroad performance. They are designed for 22r but will work on the 3.0/3.4,I have a3.0 and they are pretty smooth. But a V-6 will run smoother then a 4 cylinder any day.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
DWT;39761481Weld a chain link to the shell of the stock mount said:
I have ran marlinized stockers and broke the torque side in the past. I personally would rather have a strong motor mount that I know isn't going to break than the chain dealio.
I have ran both and still have the old school chain method on Ol'Blue. The TG mounts bring the suck, from fitment to vibration, all the shit you read on them is true.

I'm a fan of the chain. IMOP if you break the chain then you have a blown out stock rubber engine/tranny mount and that issue needs to be addressed first.

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
I like the 4xinnovations mounts. They actually have real bushings in them versus the shit that Trail Gear sells. I ran one of his t case mounts on my last truck. My friend bought one from Trail Gear. The 4xinnovations mount was much nicer.
Toyota 22R Series Motor Mount

·
Premium Member
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the responses

My rubber mounts are in great shape, I just figured if I were to support the Atlas with a poly mount, I would change everything else to poly as well. Maybe I can find a rubber mount that I could use for the Atlas instead that way I could keep all other mounts rubber. I mainly am looking to support the Atlas, not necessarily stiffen things up or prevent mounts from tearing.

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
Main thing is to not mix and match. It may be easier to go poly due to aftermarket supply.

·
Registered
15,361 Posts
I have used lots of ruffstuff parts in the past and they were always top notch. That said the motor mount design sucks. Thin urethane transfers all the engine and drivetrain vibration straight to the frame. Weld a chain link to the shell of the stock mount, let one hang with some slack to another link welded to the frame. I've been doing that for years and it let's the stock rubber take the vibration and the chain gets tight under throttle.
if you do a lot of 5k rpm clutch drops the chain will eventually rip the thin metal on the stock motor mount, mine didnt last a year

·
Registered
15,361 Posts
my trail gear mounts worked fine for years and the vibes were minimal, imo everyone greatly exaggerates the vibrations, after two days of driving on the street i didnt even notice it anymore.

·
Premium Member
1,134 Posts
I like using stock ones and cutting the stud off/ drill and run a 1/2" bolts all the way through

·
Premium Member
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I like using stock ones and cutting the stud off/ drill and run a 1/2" bolts all the way through
I may end up doing this to mine.

I also thought that I could use the extra motor mount I have for the Atlas support. It's free, and it's available at most any parts store if it were to ever go bad and I needed one in a pinch

·
Premium Member
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I ended up taking my chances with the ruffstuff motor mounts and they are a direct, bolt-on fit (they are different heights in the first pic, but there is a plate that goes on top of the stock mount when installed, so with that in place, they are the exact same height). Took it for a test drive and the vibrations are definitely noticeable but more than manageable. I also added the 4xinnovations transmission mount to keep it all poly.

The bushing is thin, which I do not like too much, but I think they will be fine and I will see how they hold up. I know the bushings will be easier to acquire and replace from ruffstuff than those silly looking trail-gear bushings.

Thanks all for the help :smokin:

Attachments

·
Registered
4,681 Posts
I like the 4xinnovations mounts. They actually have real bushings in them versus the shit that Trail Gear sells. I ran one of his t case mounts on my last truck. My friend bought one from Trail Gear. The 4xinnovations mount was much nicer.
Toyota 22R Series Motor Mount
x2, these seem like the best design if you're looking for something you can order up and bolt in. I've bee running these for the past 8 years or so...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts