Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i'm in the final stages of completing the swap and have ran into a problem. I have searched around here but the only info i ever got was a damn ERROR PAGE. I've also checked around on a few other boards and found nothing worthwhile.

The problem:

Runs and idles just fine and dandy, but as soon as you give it gas it cuts out and dies.

Things i have checked/replaced:

In tank Fuel pump
Fuel Filter
Fuel Lines
MAF resistance (which is within spec according to my manual) plus i have tried a few others
Timing
I have tried a couple different ECU's

When i jump the T circuit to see what the check engine light tells me, I get the following codes: 2, 5, 8, & 11

Code 2 has to deal with the MAF/AFM. But the resistance of the MAF is within spec, Could it be the plug?? Would i check the plug to the MAF for resistance? or ???

Code 5 deals with the O2 sensor, and i know why that ones comes up, dont have one.

Code 8 deals with intake air thermo sensor signal. What is this and where is it?

Code 11 tells me its the Switch signal. Unsure of this code.

Any Ideas?

·
Registered
892 Posts
The intake air thermo sensor is in the AFM. Sounds like a wiring problem between the AFM and the ECU. The code 11 is TPS adjustment problem but shouldn't prevent it from revving up. Definitely check the AFM connector .

Have you tried clearing the codes?

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Toy Story said:
The intake air thermo sensor is in the AFM. Sounds like a wiring problem between the AFM and the ECU. The code 11 is TPS adjustment problem but shouldn't prevent it from revving up. Definitely check the AFM connector .

Have you tried clearing the codes?
I have not tried clearing the codes. The problem of it running like garbage would still be there wouldnt it?

·
Registered
104 Posts
not always the truck may run fine it just has those codes in the ecm memory causing the fuel maping to be diffrent

clear the codes and see how it runs and it will also tell you which codes come back some of those may be from turning the ignition on before everything was hooked up or during testing for said problem.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Well, the codes are stored until they are cleared. Even if you fix the issue, the code will still show unless you reset the ECU. Pull the EFI fuse from the drivers side kick panel for a minute or two then put it back in and see if you still get all the same codes again.

What year engine is this and are you using the ECU and AFM that came with it?

·
Registered
11,586 Posts
It sounds like a ground issue.

Is the fuel pump jumped?

This is stinking like a lost ground somewhere. All the sensors work on a 5v signal voltage from the ECM and read resistance to ground. Try adding a ground strap from the AFM body to the fender. Adding the ground strap will hopefully fix that but I suspect that somewhere a ground strap is not bolted on.

·
Registered
143 Posts
knock sensor!!!!

you need to pick one up and tap a spot in the block...this is the ame problem that i came across when i did my swap also...runs perfect idles great...took it to drive it good UNTIL you apply the gas...falls on its face...NO POWER!!!
there is your problem....

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I do have a knock sensor and its hooked up.

the truck is a 85 carb truck. I got all the parts to swap over to efi from a86 truck.

we tested all the wires in the plug to the afm to see if there was a dead one. there was!

fixed the problem and now it runs great.

i appreciate the help.

it runs soooooo much better with the EFI compared to when it had a weber.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts