Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
looking for a straight answer here fellas.

are all the 22r/e blocks interchangable? from what i could gather the head were the only things that differed over the years. thanks

·
Premium Member
16,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Lord Orange said:
depends on the year.....85' is when the laser block came out, higher deck.
meaning the overall hieght of the block was more?

·
Premium Member
16,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
so if im going to be piecing together an 84 22r i neeed an 81-84 22r block?

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
mobil1syn said:
so if im going to be piecing together an 84 22r i neeed an 81-84 22r block?
The difference is miniscule, but you will notice it in compression testing. I actually recommend getting the newer block so to lower compression and gain gas mileage.

·
Premium Member
16,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
so in summary i can use any 22r/e block as long as i account for port matching and a timing chain issues?

so all the internals off an 84 will work in a new or old block?

·
Premium Member
16,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks to all for the help

·
Registered
338 Posts
Iam pretty sure the pistons are different on an 84 (raised top) and will only work with an 84 or earlier head. 85 and up had flat top pistons.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Contact Ted at engnbldr.com. He will break it all down for ya.

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
"RE:The difference is miniscule, but you will notice it in compression testing. I actually recommend getting the newer block so to lower compression and gain gas mileage."

Lower compression = less power. How does that mean better mileage? Even a slightly milled 22r will run on 87 octane...

The 85+ block is taller.. Everything will still bolt up, but you'll need a double row timing chain on the bottom. I don't know how much this will change compression.. Again, ask Ted...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.