Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have the 22r in my 84 pickup. it is leaking a shit load of oil and i cant tell where its coming from. its not leaking from the valve cover or around the spark plugs, but the entire drivers side of the engine block is covered in oil from front to back. and its all below the exhaust manifold. any ideas what could be leaking? also, there is no oil leaking on the pass. side of the motor anywhere....its all on the drivers side.

·
NERD
8,629 Posts
Did you check the timing gear o ring? How about your dip stick o ring? Even my whole dip stick was coming out and spitting oil everywhere.

Have you tried running the engine and looking under the hood for leaks? How much oil does it go through each week (in quarts)?

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well i havent checked any of it in depth....its really hard to see in there...the exhaust manifold hides most of it. the entire side of the block from front to back, from the exhaust manifold down is soaked with oil. it leaks alot... a drip every other second or so when idling.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the oil pressure guage doesnt appear to be working....i just got this truck yesterday and am new to toyota engines.

·
Registered
882 Posts
With that bad of a leak, you should be able to see where it is coming from.
Take it to a self-car-wash, and spray of the crud and start with a clean motor.
Then you should see it.
Could also be the distributer O-ring. Or the motor is shot, and blow-by is forcing
oil out the dip-stick tube.
The PO may have not installed the TC cover properly . Re-torque the bolts.
Maybe there is a TC-cover bolt missing . You're gonna have to get dirty.

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Pick up a can of spray engine degreaser before you hit the car wash (or even just do it at home with a hose) to clean all the oil off of the engine, then take it for a spin to see where the oil is leaking from. In addition to the places mentioned above, be suspicious of the front main seal, behind the crank pully, that's another common place these engines leak.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well if i find a complete 22re with all the injection stuff intact, then it will be a simple bolt in motor swap?no mounts or adapters or anything?

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
22R and 22RE are the same long block. the intake manifolds are different and i think the 22RE has an O2 sensor in the exhaust

the only hard part is doing the wiring

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
know anywhere online with a wiring diagram for it?

by the way i found a parts truck with a 22re today.... :grinpimp:

·
Registered
274 Posts
After you clean the motor, puffing a little baby powder up around the area is also a good way to trace an oil leak. When my front main seal died, it sent oil all the way to the back and soaked the starter, Obviously it sent all the oil down the passenger side, maybe that was just how mine did it, or maybe that's how everyone's does it- if it is, then that's one more thing you can eliminate. Good luck.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
well it looks like i have a cracked block, leaky oil pan, leaky TC cover, and a leaky oil pressure sender thingamabob........anybody got a good 22r they wanna sell? id rather have another carbed engine to avoid all the wiring but ill take a good 22re if the price is right

1 - 20 of 31 Posts