Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just got my truck wired up and figured I would share what i found when wiring my 22R bare-bones style. As of right now, i can walk into my garage and start the truck- still haven't driven it, but everything seems to work fine.

This post will show you the minimum wiring required to run your 22R with late model 2 wire GM alternator, and GM ignition parts (which you should use if you are stripped this far down anyways)
I will show the mimimum requirements to start and run only, you are responsible for lights and other b/s. Im far from a wiring genius so don't ask me for much assistance.

There are only 5 wires needed to run:
1. Coil pos
2. Alt power
3. Alt excitor
4. Fuse panel power
5. ignition switch

Thats it!
the fuse panel power is a constant hot. It can be tied to the battery, but in my case, the starter terminal was closer and easier. Should be fine- no?

Sweet diagram:flipoff2:

Next up is the GM wiring side. The only wire coming into this "system" is the pink "coil pos" wire mentioned earlier. Other than that, you loop and connect wires as shown. I orig. had the distributor wires backwards, but swapped them to what you see in the diagram and it fired right up, idled great, and throttle worked fine.

nothin to it! Hope there isn't much wrong here, as I dont want to draw too many diagrams...:flipoff2:

·
popeye
5,655 Posts
If you are running the GM ignition module, be sure to carry extras. They have been known to burn out on the trail. Had a friend that went through three on them on the Dusy.
or take an old car audio amp and cut a heat sink out out of the shell and attach the gm ignition to it. OLD tech write ups from around here suggest a heat sink to keep them cool.

also carry spares:flipoff2:

·
Premium Member
4,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Its called a heat sink- I would bet OOPS friends' didn't have a proper one in place. Anyways, this is about minimum 22R wiring. If you dont want to run GM ignition stuff, then find another thread:)

·
Wicked Raciest !
17,734 Posts
I know this is about wiring, just saying it would to wise carry a spare or two modules, just like we do with other parts that are known to break.

He was running a Pro-Comp distributor; he changed to a DUI (or something like that) distributor and has had no problems since. This was on an Early Bronco.

·
Registered
5,495 Posts
Cool. Now there is another thread to send the people who ask "what is the minimum wiring required for a 22R????"

If you lived a cold area, you'd probably want to convert to a manual choke to make starting/warm up a little easier.

Or just pump the shit out of the gas to prime it, and feather it till it idles.... :flipoff2:

Here is a link to 22r alternator upgrades:
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/toyota-truck-4runner/587456-22re-alternator-upgrade-4.html

and wiring a toyota alternator to work like a "one wire", along with some other random GM and Ford alternator tech

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/toyota-truck-4runner/1036405-toyota-one-wire-alternator-upgrade-simple-wiring-2.html

1 - 7 of 7 Posts