Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone! Im new to this thread and this is my first time posting.
Anyway, I recently purchased a 1985 Toyota pickup 4x4 and when I was with the previous owner the truck was running great! Then I hit the freeway and the truck began to bog out on me and I knew immediately to pull over. I popped the hood and didn't see any type of smoke or coolant leaking. Theres no way the head gasket is blown so Im not thinking that's the issue. It has a brand spanking new radiator and water pump. Im wondering if there is air in the system or if it's due to the thermostat? The previous owner didn't tell me that he decided to run without till I checked. I live in Hawaii where its always hot so I'm wondering what's your guys thoughts? THANK YOU!

·
Registered
5,204 Posts
Make sure you use an oem thermostat. I went through 3 crap "new" Napa ones before I got one that worked. Should have just went oem the first time

Edit: make sure it's "cherry bruh....tunz, tintz, str8 front"

·
Registered
51 Posts
If it is the an overheating issue, I recently heard about someone else with similar issues on a 22RE. Turned out to be the fan clutch!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Make sure you use an oem thermostat. I went through 3 crap "new" Napa ones before I got one that worked. Should have just went oem the first time

Edit: make sure it's "cherry bruh....tunz, tintz, str8 front"
Well I just got my dash gauge working and its sitting at about a quarter up but id say after about 10 minutes of driving the motor is pretty damn hot. But I have heard of people saying that its quite normal for a 4x4 22r to do so. So should I just run it?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If it is the an overheating issue, I recently heard about someone else with similar issues on a 22RE. Turned out to be the fan clutch!
Ya maybe I should look into that, I was also considering finding a fan shroud cause I also forgot to mention I don't have one. Thank you for the reply tho!

·
Registered
103 Posts
one of these three things. fan shroud-fan clutch-plugged radiator. i have seen many rads pluged with stop leak causing overheating issues. do those three things and you should be golden.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
one of these three things. fan shroud-fan clutch-plugged radiator. i have seen many rads pluged with stop leak causing overheating issues. do those three things and you should be golden.
Im actually currently looking for a fan shroud rn and I was also thinking about picking up an lce flex fan after I swap the fan clutch. Thank you! Lyk how it goes!

·
Registered
286 Posts
Ya maybe I should look into that, I was also considering finding a fan shroud cause I also forgot to mention I don't have one. Thank you for the reply tho!
The fan shroud is a big part of keeping an engine cool. Make sure the fan hub is good and tighten the belts that will cause a lot of problem. Pull thermostat and test it,

1 - 8 of 8 Posts