Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have done a fair amount of big tired / geared driving with 22r's. But that was when we were at a 55MPH limit. Worked ok. Now we are at 65 MPH and I need a little more HP without a swap or rebuild. Timing is set and I have jetted the carb to where it is pretty close if not spot on.

I have a 160 PSI on all 4, 1985 22r, with a weber 32-36, and a 2" exhaust. 4K rig, 35's with 5.29's. Due to the tranny type (L-series) and all that I am going to leave this in there for now without a swap to an RZ.

I can swap it over to a 1992 EFI system as I have the whole donor.

Here are my questions:

Long-tube header HP gains? Cam upgrade HP gains? If I did go to the EFI what type of HP would I likely gain if any?

I am not asking for much, but another 10 HP would be nice to keep up with traffic.

Flame away, but I do need a little advice if you could share your experiences that would be great.

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
In before the jeep fanboi's

Brb
Have ya looked at Mr Stubbs notebook?
Best thing I did was the open exhaust (all stock other than that) just about to wrap up an re swap now...
Having bought a 3rz taco to beat on during the swap.... 3rz or turbo.
Good luck, watching this one.

·
Premium Member
6,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will look through that. I am not looking for miracles. But I have driven these enough that I think there is a little bit left on the table.

Don't want to buy a $200 header for .5hp improvement!

I have a very steep 1 mile long hill on my way home. I hit the bottom at 63 and crawl the top at 50 in 4th to the floor. I'd like to get that up to 60 or so is all.

I honestly think 10-15 HP would do.

·
Registered
2,880 Posts
Even with a full exhaust and cam you might get 6 or 7 horsepower. A member here desktop dynod all of the cams available for 22R series engines. They were all within 3 to 4 horsepower compared to stock. The problem with an aftermarket cam you either sacrifice low end torque or high rpm power. The stock cam is the best compromise for both.

·
Premium Member
29,436 Posts
i personally feel that the EFI swap was well worth the time and effort from a driveability standpoint. toyota claims the efi makes a few more hp than the carb, but meh.

if you want to get to the top of the hill at 60 mph, start in 4th and go to 3rd. let it eat :smokin:

i used to run 3rd at 60 mph regularly even with stock everything and 30" tires :laughing:

for the cost and effort and gain, the free efi swap is the hands down winner :grinpimp:

don't spend a dime on anything else that isn't a 2 or 3 rz or some sort of 6 or 8 cylinder

you can spend $10k with LCE and get a badass 22r that rips and makes a couple hundred horsepower

·
Registered
4,995 Posts
I ran downey headers and, 2.5.
Imo the exhaust makes the biggest difference. (more than. 5 hp) :flipoff2:
Im also not a fan of the progressive weber.
Efi is WAY better than any carb setup ive seen on an R series.

·
Premium Member
6,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have tried the old let it eat approach with minimal results. I will look into the header and more importantly the EFI swap. I have had all the parts for awhile. Not sure that the 92 EFI swap would be overly difficult compared to the 85-86 era trucks I usually worked on. As I recall, most of the wiring went to the computer with the 92.

Sounds like the cam is not worth the trouble.

I am going to take my jetting kit with me and do some timed tests going up the hill and see if I can get it closer.

·
Premium Member
29,436 Posts
89-95 EFI is easier to swap than 85-88, just a couple fewer wires. when i did mine, i left the body as the body and stripped down the EFI to just the engine stuff. new wires to go back to the fuel pump, i just cut the flange out of an EFI tank and put the fuel pump/pickup and flange and welded it into my carb tank, and ran the Check Engine Light wire to my oil pressure light

the factory exhaust manifold doesn't totally suck, not in the way that domestic V engines get shit exhaust manifolds, but cleaning up everything going out the back doesn't hurt and is very cheap

·
Premium Member
6,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I agree. And this isn't to say that my carb is perfect. If I didn't live with such drastic temp swings it wouldn't be such a big deal. I would like the EFI if nothing else just for drivability.

I am aware that most of the truck manifolds aren't horrible. I am looking at budget headers and a lot of them are shorties. I don't see them doing much.

I don't really want to buy a $500 Doug Thorly header right now. My EFI stuff is not at home, I may go and retrieve that and see what I can do with it.

·
Premium Member
15,352 Posts
I can tell you by dumping TONS into multiple motor setups years ago--the whole "power" our of a 22r series motor is a farce... :D

·
Premium Member
6,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I agree. I think there are some engines that you just got what you got. This is one of them. That being said, if I can pick up a few HP to keep me where I want to be I am going to pursue it.

·
Registered
12,603 Posts
As mentioned, any money spent on "power upgrades" is basically a waste of time and money.

EFI for sure if you have it.

The only thing that really makes a difference is an electric fan. I never did it on a Toyota, but it helped a lot on my 1.6 zuk.

After that, look into weight reduction, especially rotating mass. Aluminum wheels would probably be more noticeable than a header or cam.

You might be doing this already, but hit 4th before you hit the hill, you will carry more momentum than waiting untill it bogs in 5th to downshift.

5th gear is just a novelty with a 22r anyway :flipoff2:

·
Registered
8,947 Posts
Forced induction, turbo or supercharger.

My turbo pane setup really shines on the long uphill drags...

·
Registered
2,880 Posts
Forced induction or don’t waste any money. My roommate had $4600 in a 22RE.:homer: For that kind of money he could had way more power with a different motor.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts