Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just as the title sais. when cold, it takes alot of time for it to start. i have to pump the hell out of the gas peddal for it to catch. i replaced the fuel filter, it helped but not much. im gonna run some fuel treatment through the tank because i know its been sitting a while but other then that, what else should i look into??? i searched the forums but didnt really find anything helpful i could use. thanks.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sorry, guess i should remember to be more descriptive on what its on :emb: but being that its a 22R its carb'd. :D anyhow. its a real pain to get it to start when its cold..... but any other time after when its been run recently its fine :confused: it starts ok but still takes a few turns. im thinking it may have something to do with the choke??? also.... it has a weird miss/sputter at idle, and as im going down the road if i romp on the throttle it coughs then catches as if it almost blows out the plugs or somethin? im gonna check timing on it tomorrow or come thursday. but has anyone else come across this familiar problem?

·
Registered
106 Posts
if it's been sitting for a while try changing your plugs and wires. also try some carbcleaner and or seafoam through it. as for the hard starting when it's cold your electronic choke might not be working. go buy a manual choke conversion and you'll enver have to deal with taht crap again.

·
Registered
1 Posts
On my 86 22R 186,000 miles, I was having hard starting, stinky exhaust, poor hot idle, bad mileage. After doing all the easy stuff, I bought a carb rebuild kit ($45) and rebuilt the carb. A little time comsuming but not that difficult. Just pay attention to detail and take pictures before you tear it down. All the internal rubber parts were shot. Now my truck runs great! Last trip out of town, running 60-65mph, I got 21mpg. It's a new vehical. Just my 2 Cents.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
a manual choke conv??? where can i find those? how much are they? if i did have to rebuild the carb i figure i should just buy a bran spanking new one for it. to where all the internals are new and such. im not all to knowledgable on carbs and im sure i could do it but as of right now its my only means of transportation eventhough i only drive it a few miles to and from work.

i would figure the choke isnt working but once it starts, it does its usual idel up to around 1800-2000 rpms to warm up and once its warm, it cuts the choke and idles back to normal. so mabe the choke is fine but something else is up???? do you guys think it could be a fuel delivery problem? the fuel pump is new..... so is the filter? ill go ahead and try out some seafoam as you mentioned (fellowsped) and see if it makes a diffrence. thanks guys.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
86GOTOY said:
On my 86 22R 186,000 miles, I was having hard starting, stinky exhaust, poor hot idle, bad mileage. After doing all the easy stuff, I bought a carb rebuild kit ($45) and rebuilt the carb. A little time comsuming but not that difficult. Just pay attention to detail and take pictures before you tear it down. All the internal rubber parts were shot. Now my truck runs great! Last trip out of town, running 60-65mph, I got 21mpg. It's a new vehical. Just my 2 Cents.
did you do anything else? im doing a tune up on the truck tomorrow and whent to buy new plugs, pickup coil, distributor cap, rotor and some lucas oils fuel system treatment. im also gonna run a timing light on it and see if the timing is on the mark. how do you check that again???? its been a while since i done it. i belive you took the timing advance vacume off and............. :confused:

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
also, what gap do you guys usually run on the pickup coil? plugs? i know i can just set it to stock specs but is there a slightly better gap you guys have found that works better?

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
alisn4x4 said:
just as the title sais. when cold, it takes alot of time for it to start. i have to pump the hell out of the gas peddal for it to catch. i replaced the fuel filter, it helped but not much. im gonna run some fuel treatment through the tank because i know its been sitting a while but other then that, what else should i look into??? i searched the forums but didnt really find anything helpful i could use. thanks.
AAP is bad.
Gnarls.

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
alisn4x4 said:
also, what gap do you guys usually run on the pickup coil? plugs? i know i can just set it to stock specs but is there a slightly better gap you guys have found that works better?
there isn't gonna be any benefit from messing with the pickup coil on the distributor. this ain't points, buddy. if you want better cold starting look into a hotter coil or even a full system(MSD is popular). that way you can widen the plug gaps a lot which burns the fuel a little better.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
what kinda coil would you suggest?

i know it need the tune up, i took a look at the cap and there was crud over the contacts and just by scraping them off it ran slightly better so im just gonna replace it the rotor, plugs, and the p/u coil since im there and throw the other one in the glove box since i know it works.

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
i'm running an accel super stock coil. it works pretty well so far, my truck doesn't have the occasional die-off when warming up any more.

wouldn't mind running an MSD or mallory ignition, but i like my stock tach to actually work...

·
Registered
17 Posts
You guys are ignoring the obvious. The truck is most likely not getting enough gas. The choke is probably just bad. To check the choke remove the top of the air cleaner and make sure that the plate on the left barrel is closed and tight.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
left hand side barrel looking from the front twards the rear of the firwall im assuming? i think i may have screwed too much with the afm screw and such. anyone know what the baseline is on the 22R? i know ive seen this subject on here in the forum but i figure id ask in case someone knows it off hand. i think right now i may have it 3 or 4 turns out, but not sure.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Gnarly4X said:
AAP is bad.
Gnarls.

my AAP was bad and mine just wouldnt hold an idle period, but if i went out and drove for 10 min and got the temp guage up it would be fine. I just plugged mine up though and it works like a champ....

·
Registered
17 Posts
If the Acceleration Pump is failing it would keep the engine from getting primed. However, I don't see how a failure in the AAP (Auxilary Acceleration Pump) would cause this. If only the AAP were failing the truck should start fine in the cold but would experience poor acceleration until the engine is fully warm.

If you want to check to see if your Acceleration Pump is working remove the top of the air cleaner, pry open the choke and peer down the left(as facing the engine) barrel of the carburetor. While doing this fully open the throttle and you should see some gas squirt into the barrel of the carb. BTW do this with the engine off. If you see no gas squirting into the barrel then the engine is not getting primed and thus you've solved your problem

1 - 16 of 16 Posts