Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
clean 4runner here locally, chick ran it out of oil.
said it was " blown up"

Im envisioning this possibly 2 ways.

WORST case: rod thru the block, engine pretty much hashed.

BEST case: maybe a set of crank bearings might get running again.

It will probably be somewhere in between, but I havent had a chance to go inspect it yet.

so what has been seen as the weak link on a 22R ran with NO oil?

·
Gravity Works!
30,943 Posts
This depends on the engines condition before it was ran out of oil.
Also depends on how the owner ran it without oil - was it an idle lock up or a high RPM range lock up?

You'll never really know until you totally disassemble the engine for inspection.

Sure, if you see a rod poking out the side of the block or the block with an open window on the side of it, I'd say find another engine and start from there. This one will only be good for bolt on stuff donor at that point.

What could be affected by running an engine without oil? Everything that requires it - i.e. crank and rod bearings, crankshaft, rods if bearing spun, piston rings and wrist pins, oil pump it self, timing chain and tensioner, rocker arms, shafts and camshaft, valves on their stems. Should sum it up.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
her story was about the drainplug coming loose, and her trying to get to her destination, kept driving until it quit.

Ill check into it, I am hopefully for not total trash, but my luck, it will be stuck solid.

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
her story was about the drainplug coming loose, and her trying to get to her destination, kept driving until it quit.

Ill check into it, I am hopefully for not total trash, but my luck, it will be stuck solid.
First thing to loose oil is the cam. It rides on the aluminum in the head. No replacable bearings. Rocker arms, never a good idea to run used ones on a new cam. Can't imagine one that had no oil. Cranks going to be junk with the rods most likely needing to be replace if the bearings spun

easiest repair route. new head,cam, crank, rods.

And if she wouldn't stop for a oil light, what else has been neglected?

Something I'd stay away from.

Try sourcing a running motor to swap in.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yep. I had forgotten the OHC rides on those machined saddles in the head..
jeebus, thats likely ugly.

Its cheap enough, im buying it anyway, just means ive got to source another engine or build this one.

·
Premium Member
16,324 Posts
put a drain plug in, fill it with oil, run it till it blows up.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
haha, i can only hope its that simple.

that chance is there, she isnt mechanically savy, and her boyfreind is a 'mechanic" but its been untouched for a while, so my guess is he sucks at the wrench.

Im hopeful that it can be madeto run for cheap.

·
Registered
439 Posts
haha, i can only hope its that simple.

that chance is there, she isnt mechanically savy, and her boyfreind is a 'mechanic" but its been untouched for a while, so my guess is he sucks at the wrench.

Im hopeful that it can be madeto run for cheap.
that or she sucks at sucking.....

if the body and frame are in good shape and the price is right id go for it. rebuilding a 22re aint a big deal.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
I just bought one that was run very low on oil. It had a knock. Turned out pieces of the two rear pistons had broken off obove the upper ring where they are dished on the exhaust side. A piece of the piston was embedded in the head and hitting the piston. If that piece of metal had left the chamber it probably would have run great even with pieces of the piston missing.

Figure the engine is junk and buy a runner. They can be found pretty cheap.

Chass
ct

·
Registered
122 Posts
If it ends up needing an entire engine, Just go to S&S engine or buy an ebay engine. s&s has a really good warranty on there engines and their prices are good, I also think they pay for shipping to get your core engine back to them.

http://www.rebuiltautoengines.com/

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
right.

body is clean, its very straight, nearly rust free, and fancy alumininum wheels ( that I will sell off)

solid axle, lifted, 33 inch tires.... I think its an 85 from what im told, its solid front, but she told me its carbed, but... I doubt she really knows.

it will work, Ive been driving my 89 runner for years now, and I love it, but its rusty as HELL. and IFS is... well... Id rather have an older runner with EFI.

easy choice I guess.

I need more shop space now.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Nice block.

I hope my luck is better.

and is that dude pissing on the gold car beside the runner?
That's the previous owner walking away with my cash :laughing:

He bought it with the motor locked as a project, but never had time for it.

Kinda funny though...we paid a homeless guy $3 and 10 cigarettes to help push it on the trailer. He though he got the good end of the bargain.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
thats like $3 + $3 isnt it these days?

cheaper than a winch though, unless you do this 40+ times a year.

I wish I had more homeless smoker dudes around me, Id get alot more stuff done.

:D

1 - 20 of 20 Posts