Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I didn't know where else to ask this question so here it goes:
I've just gotten my block back from the machine shop and am starting to reassemble it. There are two different compression rings an the instructions are hazy as to which goes in which groove. The rings are Hastings (I'm not sure if that makes a dif). I think the go like this:
______
|aaaa_|
|___| aaaaa Top ring

______
|aaaaa|
|_____| aaaaa Bottom ring

I know my illustration sucks but one ring has a notch out and the instructions specifically say it goes down but it doesn't say which groove and I don't have a FSM. (I guess I should break down and buy one). Sorry, for dumb newbie question. I've got to get this fawker back together.

>> Edit
That looks like sh!t when it posted so I'll try to clarify. One rings cross section is a perfect square and the other has a notch out of the bottom that faces towards the cylinder wall.

I've put together a couple of V8s and there rings were cut and dry. The circle pointed up!

I threw together a little paint diagram for clarification also that I can e-mail.

Thanks

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
22RE are identical motors only they seem to have less vacuum lines. I've torn down my 22RE to shortblock and its smog vacuum lines are much easier to sort through.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Are there no pics with the rings ? Some factory rings havae dots on the up side. Most show you which way is up and which is goes where in the box.
Usually the bottom compression ring is a wiper ring, which looks like your upper ring diagram,some top rings also look like the upper ring only you would have to turn it upside down from your drawing.
The groove going into the piston causes the gas pressure to seal against the cylinder better.

Get the box and go back to the parts house or the machine shop that gave them toyou and ask to see another set ,se if they have instructions in them.

This is way to important to guess at .

Gary

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
GaryGreco said:

This is way to important to guess at .

Gary
Yeah No sh!t :flipoff2::D :flipoff2:

Nah Seriously, The machine shop isn't open until tommorrow and I wanted to get atleast the shortblock together today. I do have a Chilton's as well as a Haynes. Like I said before, I've yet to buy a FSM. This could be the critical mass that pushes me to buy one.

The rings did come with an instruction sheet that is about 6" x 4" and has four different languages on it. That leaves an area that is 3"x4" that is written in english. I thought this was kinda' weird for the ring placement that is so critical.

I wish I had a scanner to scan the enclosed instruction sheet and post it.

Anyone else know for sure?

Thanks for the replies

·
Registered
344 Posts
Here is the FSM pic in a short from,i can email you the whole page if you like but ,like i said before your piston and rings may be different.

Hope this helps

Gary

·
Registered
344 Posts
try this sorry ...:D

Attachments

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Gary. It must be a manufacturer thing because mine are different than that. I'm going to have to wait and call the machine shop tomorrow.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.