Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK...lots of valve noise. I took the valve cover off and adjusted them to the factor spec. (.008 in. on the intake and .012 in. on the exhaust) Still noisy!!!!! Is anyone tighting them more to get rid of the noise??? I was thinking maybe .007 and .011 Any suggestions or reasons why i shouldnt do this?

(The engine only has 90K miles on it...and the head was rebuilt less than 5k ago)

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
You say "lots of valve noise." It will always make some valve noise you know that right? It's hard to tell what you consider a lot, if they're adjusted to spec go with it.

·
Registered
853 Posts
If it's always been like that since your head was rebuilt, maybe the installation of the head plugged some oil galleries. The use of excess gasket sealer can plug or restrict them. There are other possibilities but they all have to do with your rebuilt head and the installation. What was done to the head? Who installed the head? Is this a new problem or has it been going on for a while? I've never had to go less to less clearance get rid of valve noise.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I know this is a dumb question, but did you use your manual when doing this? You can not tighten down the valves all at once, you have to tighten down some of them then rotate the engine 360* and tighten down the rest. If you over tighten the valves then it will eat up the cam.:eek:

·
Registered
3 Posts
It could have dropped a valve seat. I had a remanufactured head do that to me and it made a much more loud noise that the regular value sound.

·
Registered
9 Posts
22r's have noisy valves to start with, i would set it to factory spec and go with it.

·
Registered
283 Posts
If the head has been shaved dont do it by the book, instead rotate the engine for each valve to the lowest point on the cam lobe then adjust the valve. i had the same problem and cured it by doing that.
Mike

·
Registered
143 Posts
Caldo..... You are referring to having the lobe 180° from the valve, right?

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
All you need is a kickin stereo. Turn it up real loud an the noise goes away.:smokin:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts