Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good afternoon, I was driving home today, and when I cam to a stop on the off ramp, my truck died. I started it up and it wouldn’t idle, if I would let up on the gas, once it drops below 1000 it would die. It also now has a slight miss. I had to sit as light with my foot on the gas, a real PITA
I checked my coil, it makes a spark, the wires also work, and I replaced the fuel filter. It is getting fuel, the float is where it should be. I checked all the vacuum lines, all looked good. I searched the archives, and I saw something about a idle solenoid, but I don’t know were that is on my truck, a 84 Toyota 4x4, 22r. Fed model. Please help, this is my DD.
Thanks
Shane

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
sounds like its more than a slight miss. start pullin wires untill it doesnt effect the idle. that is your bad cyl.

·
Premium Member
2,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
but i cant get it to idle:D when in the upper rpm band, it doenst mis, its just down less 2500rpm.
Thanks
Shane

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
pull your spark plugs. ill bet 1 looks different than all the others. or find a way to give it gas while checking to keep it idling.

is ur choke opening fully?

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
I had this same problem. It was my Idle Cutoff silenoid. This drove my frigin crazy. There is an excellent write up on this somewhare around here with good pics. But in short if standing on the passenger side and looking at the carb you will see 3 or 4 wires running to it, a RED (power to choke) and a Black and white(these are the Power/Ground to your Idle Cutoff silenoid). All I did was put 12v(either to ACC Switch or toggle) to the white wire and a constant ground to black and pow the thing would idle like a dream and my miss went away. I am seeing this more and more as the 22r emission computers are getting older and not supplyin the power to the switch.(have done it now to 2 of my friends trucks).

Hope this helps. Try a search under idle and silenoid I think thats how I found it.

·
Premium Member
2,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
poorwheeler, you hit it on the nose. I did that and it runs perfect. Where did you grab the acc on wire from? in the engine bay, or run one from the cab?
Thanks very much for the help
Shane

1 - 7 of 7 Posts