Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have been thinking about running dual batteries. one for my engine and computer accesories, and one for lights and sterio stuff. i have an 80 amp gm alternator.

it seems in an already crammed engine compartment. where would you put the filter box? or is there somewhere better to store the battery. ive been thinking about getting a large ammo can and sticking it on my flatbed and then running wires up to the front.

what would you do? and how would you wire it? is there any cheap kits? say like off a chevy diesel?

thanks:D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
24,649 Posts
Go to my site and see what I did. It's changing this time and both batteries will go either in the bed or the Xcab itself, not sure yet.

Roger B moved both his unedr his 4runner as well to make room for the onboard welder.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,400 Posts
Hick said:
Has anyone put a second battery next to the factory one? I have 2 optima red tops (smaller than a normal battery) and was thinking if i modify the tray, they may fit. Any ideas? Next weekend i plan on measuring real well.
I determined two Red Tops would fit, turn them 90 degrees and put them side by side. Move the washer tank and cut out the stock tray. It's really tight, but should fit. I am so glad I put the batteries under the truck though. Its worked out well, gets the weight down low and off the front end. The batteries have been living under the truck for about 5 years now, still going strong.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,196 Posts
4CrawlR said:


I determined two Red Tops would fit, turn them 90 degrees and put them side by side. Move the washer tank and cut out the stock tray. It's really tight, but should fit. I am so glad I put the batteries under the truck though. Its worked out well, gets the weight down low and off the front end. The batteries have been living under the truck for about 5 years now, still going strong.
My problem with this is that one red top is in my 4 runner, one is in my ram. Sure i have about 4 extra batteries sitting around, but still. I only want to run dual batteries when I am on longer trail rides, or when i think i am going ot be using my winch alot.. so basically, i want it to be able tohave 1 or 2 batteries, on demand.

Garrett
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,400 Posts
Hick said:
My problem with this is that one red top is in my 4 runner, one is in my ram. Sure i have about 4 extra batteries sitting around, but still. I only want to run dual batteries when I am on longer trail rides, or when i think i am going ot be using my winch alot.. so basically, i want it to be able tohave 1 or 2 batteries, on demand.
You could just make a quick mount location in the bed of your pickup (I assume that's your pictured by your name) and run a pair of 1/0 welding cables from the main battery back to the bed with a quick disconnect plug. Use the same plug and connector on the truck the battery is out of and its a quick swap.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
16,327 Posts
HIGH CRIME AREA? PLEASE ... there werent any break ins or theifs last week, dont you read the school paper.

look into marine terminals with the wing nut connectors. that will make it easy to swap back and forth. why not run your extra battery in the back of the runner?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,196 Posts
mobil1syn said:
HIGH CRIME AREA? PLEASE ... there werent any break ins or theifs last week, dont you read the school paper.

look into marine terminals with the wing nut connectors. that will make it easy to swap back and forth. why not run your extra battery in the back of the runner?
You priced out any 1/0 battery cable lately? No, my poor college ass cant afford it, thus, put it under the hood.. oh, and i do have all my accessories on a marine terminals on the 4 runner, if that makes any difference.

Garrett
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
16,327 Posts
i used 2/0 when i moved my battery (battery to starter) and i dont recall it being that much. get hardcore and sell a liver or kidneyt on ebay to support the builindg of your rig.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,196 Posts
mobil1syn said:
i used 2/0 when i moved my battery (battery to starter) and i dont recall it being that much. get hardcore and sell a liver or kidneyt on ebay to support the builindg of your rig.
Oh yeah, thats happening :rolleyes: . I think you need to go hard core on your rig and take it off the street :flipoff2: .

As for the crime thing, shoudl i feel safe enough to not turn the alarm on anymore, and leave all my crap in there?

Garrett
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
16,327 Posts
if i take it off the street it will get dirty ... make your truck hideous looking and no one will mess with it. just giving ya crap man
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,400 Posts
Hick said:
You priced out any 1/0 battery cable lately? No, my poor college ass cant afford it, thus, put it under the hood.. oh, and i do have all my accessories on a marine terminals on the 4 runner, if that makes any difference.
I think the stuff I used ran $1.00-1.40/ft at a welding shop. Same stuff at a car stereo shop is probably $5/ft. or so.

As mentioned, you can phyically fit two Optimas in the stock location, move the washer tank, modify the platform to set the two batteries in with a N-S orientation vs. the stock E-W. You'll probably need to add some bracing to support the battery that will hang over the inner fender, w/ 60 lbs. of lead bouncing around off road, you'll need some good support, since one battery will be hanging off in mid air.
 

·
Wicked Raciest !
Joined
·
17,734 Posts
Need a small battery that you an mount anyway you want to? A bit pricey at $150.00 +.

You can chec them out here:

http://www.odysseybatteries.com/

here are the specs on it:

PC 1200
1200 cranking amps
91 minute reserve capacity with 25amp load
Dimensions: inches (mm)
width 6.66 (169.1)
length (terminal side) 7.87 (199.9)
height* 6.80 (172.7)
Weight 38.2 lbs / 17.4 kg
 

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top