Pirate 4x4 banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
What did you do with the air valve, if anything? Last I checked, that is a needed part. Especially, here in the midwest.

Air valve function: Coolant from the engine passes through, heating a diaphram. The diaphram changes the flow of air through the opposite site of the valve, into the throttle body, lowering the idle speed. This was used in place of a solenoid on the throttle body, to adjust the amount of air intake at idle speeds. Primary function, to adjust idle according to vehicle temperature, and time for warm up.

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
what's the air valve?

did I remove it?

FYI I don't know what I'm doing, I just pulled crap off.

There is a BVSV or something or another that controlled the EGR valves, that's all that it did and I blocked off/removed the EGR so it's not hooked up.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
I'm pulling off the coolant line tubes also. On the one under the intake I'm putting a weld bung on the blockoff plate for an extra sensor.
The hose attached to the tube on the passenger side, in the center of the block, went to the air valve. It's a cube looking thing under the intake plenum, with spider legs of hoses coming off of it. It's directly below the throttle body. That unit, is what gives you the fast idle for warm up, and drops idle when warm. I know that, because we are fighting with one currently. The runner idles the same, regardless of temperature. Except, after we drive it for a while. It's hard to set the engine warm idle speed, when it changes every 5 minutes.

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I'll look but...

The coolant hose on the passenger side went around the block to the other side, those lines were just looped together. I never had a valve on the coolant lines, my understanding is those coolant lines only supplied the heater core.

It sounds like you are talking about the BSVS or whatever, it is under the throttle body and has 2 vacuum lines to it. Those vacuum lines when to the EGR valve.

I can tell you that I do get fast idle for warm up still - how I don't know but it will idle up until I tap the throttle then it will drop back down.

I'm also having trouble bleeding my coolant system but I haven't tried too hard yet.

·
Gravity Works!
30,943 Posts
The hose attached to the tube on the passenger side, in the center of the block, went to the air valve. It's a cube looking thing under the intake plenum, with spider legs of hoses coming off of it. It's directly below the throttle body. That unit, is what gives you the fast idle for warm up, and drops idle when warm. I know that, because we are fighting with one currently. The runner idles the same, regardless of temperature. Except, after we drive it for a while. It's hard to set the engine warm idle speed, when it changes every 5 minutes.
Do you have a photo of what your talking about?

Blase, Pull and plug off the items circled in red with Allen head pipe plugs.
Where do you have the PCV / crank case vent hoses going? Are those two tied together into a "T"?

WTF is that on your throttle linkage?

CIMG1607mod.jpg

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Do you have a photo of what your talking about?
I'll get one in a bit. I just redid a coolant system on a 4runner, when I put a new engine in it. I can tell you the coolant pipe on the passenger side, goes back about mid-block. From there, it goes up into the intake, out to the AIR VALVE, and towards the rear of the block via a "T". I will go out and take a picture the best I can later today.

·
Gravity Works!
30,943 Posts
I'll get one in a bit. I just redid a coolant system on a 4runner, when I put a new engine in it. I can tell you the coolant pipe on the passenger side, goes back about mid-block. From there, it goes up into the intake, out to the AIR VALVE, and towards the rear of the block via a "T". I will go out and take a picture the best I can later today.
I know there is a coolant line coming out the back side of the timing cover on the pass side but some reason things get foggy with it after that. Edit: come to think about it... maybe there is a sensor on the T section of that?!? I know about the tube Blase is talking about coming out of the bottom of the center Plenum and heading to the back of the head.

I never removed any of that stuff on my engines for whatever reason tho.

Now I got to go look at my engines.:laughing:

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #28 (Edited)
there's some photos of my coolant lines isn't there?

throttle linkage - I needed a custom cable and I bought a universal cable, it only fit that way, it's ghetto but I don't have a better solution for a custom cable. Its too long and you can see it snaking around the engine bay. Leaving it long was better than having it try to take the 90 thru the firewall.

PCV and breather - tee'd together, I've had the PCV plugged for years and now they are tee'd together and just vented to atmosphere. The hose runs 3 sides and down. One of the main reasons for this was just not to get oil in the intake. The only way it can happen now is past the rings and valves.

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
OK - I think I know what he's talking about.

there is still a small coolant line up front. Mine is still there. there are two electrical sensors under the throttle that plug into the harness. those are still necessary and still plugged in. As far as I know

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
OK - I think I know what he's talking about.

there is still a small coolant line up front. Mine is still there. there are two electrical sensors under the throttle that plug into the harness. those are still necessary and still plugged in. As far as I know
Yeah, it has an electrical connection on it. As well as, there is a hose running from that, to the bottom of the throttle body. The coolant line goes over by where the Intake is fed, and the other goes on top of the intake by the ECT.

·
Gravity Works!
30,943 Posts
landslide - I'd love to plug those things - what size? I assumed they were british pipe like everydamn other thing on this engine is why they're still there.
Yea, I found some plugs that I had collected from stripping things over the years for my weeding.

Might try McMastercarr for them and a cable clamp for your throttle cable end. Should be able to find one that will fit into the round hole hole in the throttle plate arm that would have a hole in it to route the cable through and tighten down with a set screw.

Or try a L&G shop for them.

·
Registered
105 Posts
x2 on plug sizes, im pretty sure all the vacum nipples and that idle up valve on intake manifold are all 1/8in bspt. Does anyone know the thread size of the BVSV?

·
Registered
255 Posts
This is how my buddies engine turned out after stripping off useless stuff... runs awesome.. I got most of all the same stuff pulled off as well... looks so much better!

21 - 40 of 44 Posts