Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok. Sorry for the long post but here it goes. I was driving my truck home from school the other day the damn thing wouldn't idle for shit. I took it straight home "short drive" and popped the hood. I checked my oil and it was definetely milky. The oil was a olive green color so I'm guessing the anti-freeze mixed in with my oil some how. I automaticly assumed it was my head gasket. :mad: WRONG.

Next, popped off the head to take a look. I've never seen a head gasket look so new.:confused: There were "zero" signs of any problems with the head gasket. My next thought was that I either cracked my block or my timing chain cover was cracked. Can anyone think of any other logical possibilities?

By the way, my timing chain needs to be replaced and is next on my high priority list. Think that could have anything to do with it?

All $.02 appreciated. :D

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have the head off my truck right now so I can pretty much see everything behind my timing chain cover from up above it. Follow Me? Where on the cover does the chain normally eat through? I can see that my guides aren't really in bad condition, they look to still be in alright shape "especially the plastic one on vehicles passenger side". My chain has loads of slack so that could very well be the problem. The only thing is that I can't see any signs of cracks or holes around the edges of the cover. $.02 please. :D

·
Registered
864 Posts
If your looking at the engine the timing chain cover generally gets eaten up on the right side. Drivers side. If there are grooves in the timing chain cover then more then likely you wore thru it. All it takes is a pin prick of a hole to leak since it gets pressurized. Fixing this exact problem on a truck right now. So take your timing cover off and inspect it. There might be a little discoloration where it is leaking but maybe not. Hope this helps

·
Registered
17,017 Posts
If you're gonna replace the timing set you might as well buy a new timing cover while you're at it. I think you can find one for about $50-75 brand new. Drain and flush the cooling system (you'll have to now anyways) and refill with Toyota red coolant - it's made to be non-corrosive to the metal in your cooling system. Green shit isn't. Toyota red is only $13/GAL around here....worth it I think.

Are you sure it wasn't the head gasket? Use the best quality gasket you can get to replace it and check the block and head for warpage before you install....."just in case".

Hef

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the advice on the anti-freeze, I'll do that. I already have a chain kit sitting in my garage, I've just had a hell of a time getting that fawking pulley bolt out. You can tell by my new avitar. :D :D :D . I was happy to see that thing come out. Anyways, I'm gonna take my cover off today and I'll let everyone know how it goes. Thanks for the help. Keep the $.02 coming. :flipoff2:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.