Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ive got an '85 yota truck with the 22re I can't get the fuel pump to turn on. I know the pump is operational because if i unplug it and jump her to the battery she kicks right, in but it wont come on if i jump it with the diagnostics thing or if i just try to start it. both the circuit opening relay and the efi relay are working. ive traced the wires back and there is nothin wrong with them. Im at a loss here and im not sure what to do. Any ideas would be appreciated.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The MAF is good. ive had this issue for awhile and every once in awhile it will start and drive but every every 5 min. or so my lights get really bright, my voltimeter maxs out and both the battery light and the parking brake light come on. im completely lost here.

·
Wicked Raciest !
17,734 Posts
how could it be the alternator if the battery doesnt die? all of the grounds are good.
Intermittent problem, Does it have an internal or external voltage regulator?

You say all the grounds are good, did you take them all loose and clean up the terminal and mounting bolt and mounting surface? You did not answer about the ground wire from the firewall to the plenum. That is a very important ground for some reason. They can run like crap without it.

but every every 5 min. or so my lights get really bright, my voltimeter maxs out and both the battery light and the parking brake light
This tells me something is going on with the voltage regulator or the alternator.

·
Wicked Raciest !
17,734 Posts
I do not know what is run on an 85, I know that some early Toyotas had an external regulator. Maybe some one who knows 85 will pipe up.

If you have all the grounds in that picture you have them all. On my 3.0 it goes to the intake plenum and not the head like on the 22r.

How long does it stay in the overcharging mode. The reason I ask is that can be very hard on electrical components

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I do not know what is run on an 85, I know that some early Toyotas had an external regulator. Maybe some one who knows 85 will pipe up.

If you have all the grounds in that picture you have them all. On my 3.0 it goes to the intake plenum and not the head like on the 22r.

How long does it stay in the overcharging mode. The reason I ask is that can be very hard on electrical components
'85 and up is internal. does anyone know about the GM alternator conversions?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks to 4 crawlers website and the diagram above, and hours of frustration i now know that its the curcuit opening relay. wheres the cheapest place to get one of these things?

·
Wicked Raciest !
17,734 Posts
Thanks to 4 crawlers website and the diagram above, and hours of frustration i now know that its the curcuit opening relay. wheres the cheapest place to get one of these things?
I got mine at P-N-P, think I got six for $2.00(admission price). What I find weird is that when mine went out on the trail, I jumped the Diag. box and it fired up and I drove about thirty miles on it that way.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
any one know of the purpose of STA and E1 are for on this thing? Diagnostics is the only thing i can think of. If its nothing im just gonna wire up a normal fog light relay.

·
Premium Member
4,400 Posts
any one know of the purpose of STA and E1 are for on this thing? Diagnostics is the only thing i can think of. If its nothing im just gonna wire up a normal fog light relay.
That is the secondary winding that is triggered while starting (STArt) that turns on the fuel pump while the engine is cranking. Once started, the main coil is triggered by the AFM.

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
how could it be the alternator if the battery doesnt die? all of the grounds are good.
Ever think that it may be OVER charging instead of UNDER charging?

Classic symptom...

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
went to pnp and there where few pickups but the relays out of early 80's to mid 90's toyota camry's and are the same, and there alot easier to get to... Right behind the glove box.

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
I am doing a buggy wiring harness, can I just bypass the circuit opening relay and just run a standard bosh relay to turn the fp on?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts