Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My yota will not start. It will crank all day, but wont turn over. I've done lots and lots of searching but found nothing like my problem. It had a low speed flop (onto its roof) while the p/o was doing dognuts in a big muddy lot, anyways it hasnt ran since. So far I know the fuel pump has power/ works, the afm works, coil/ign are good, distributor is good. There is fuel in the system, it has spark on all cyls. Cold start injector has current to it, but wont spray. The engine does have fuel pressure tho, at least up to the fuel rail side of the fuel filter where I checked. If I crank it and spray starter fluid in the cold start injector hole it fires right up but as soon as I stop spraying it slowly dies out, like it runs out of combustables. I was able to control the idle today by spraying in intermintent bursts of starter fluid, so I know it can run. Bottom line- I have spark, I have fuel pressure and current at all injectors, but no go.

End rant..
Could it be that when the truck was rolled oil gunked up the injectors so bad that they are worthless now? When I got the truck I could tell oil ran out the intake manifold and down the stock intake tube. The air filter had oil on it as well.

Thanks for the replys!

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Seems like your injecters are not opening up. Search under my posts for the solenoid resistor. Also sand down the underside of the coil/igniter(bracket).

I bought a 4runner once that was on its roof for several weeks at a wreck yard. Engine oil had seeped through the AFM. The engine came to life normally when I tried it several days later.

·
Banned
4,587 Posts
Look at the wires (3)that run from the coil across the engine to the injectors. I had one break and that stopped me for a while til I saw it. Same troubles.
Danny

·
Registered
527 Posts
Also, take a look at you air intake tubing, and air flow sensor. Your fuel pump will not start pumping until your computer is sensing air flow. If your tube got a hole in it due to the roll, or you MAF is stuck, it would give you the same symptoms.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Lord Orange said:
check engine light?

I have power going to the check engine light from the ecu, but the light must be out in the dash.

Thanks for all the responses, I have already tested my solenoid resistor and it had 2-3 ohms like the manual said it should.

·
Registered
11,586 Posts
4agzemc said:
I have power going to the check engine light from the ecu, but the light must be out in the dash.

Thanks for all the responses, I have already tested my solenoid resistor and it had 2-3 ohms like the manual said it should.

First rule of working on a FI vehicles READ THE CODES!

So if you have no working light I would check that first. If the bulb is good then start checking grounds. Once the light works then read the codes and see if it tells you whats wrong with it.

My bet is you are going to have a code for crank position. IE: The FI ECM is not getting signal from the igniter. Since it will run on starter fluid then The igniter is getting signal from the distributor.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts