Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone had problems with their guage cluster in the 85 toy pu, when i start the car and it has say 5 min to warm up, the temp is in the red, oil presure is 0 all times, the gas guage doesnt work , stuck at full,the speedometer bounces, i can be going 60 and itl bounce at like 15 -30 until i give it a lot of gas, then it will go up to the speed im at, or close to it, when i take off the gas it drops to 0, volts work and tack works, any help or ideas where to begin?

·
Registered
487 Posts
My temp guage does that (stuck at max for a few seconds after starting) sometimes, never bothered to figure out why. Probably have a loose connection or short somewhere.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Question:
“Why does my engine temp go all the way up to the red before it comes back down to the middle of the gauge after I start it up in the morning. It only does this when the engine is cold and once it warms up it seems to operate normally. Could it be as simple as a stuck thermostat?”

Answer:
(From Roger Brown’s Web Site)

“What happens on the 22R and 22RE engine, when the coolant goes through the heater core it gets cooled off enough that when it gets dumped back in on top of the t-stat it shuts it. Therefore the temperature in the engine continues to go up. The t-stat that I have mentioned has two valves in it, one at the regular temp. and one smaller on at a cooler temp. If the cool water shuts the big one, the smaller one stays open. All this happens because of the lack of a by-pass hose, which on other systems, keeps hot coolant running on the t-stat.”

You can get the two-stage thermostat mentioned above from your local Toyota Dealer.
Part Number: #90916-03070

I believe this is your culpret
my problem is something different, but maybe similar, any help?

·
Registered
487 Posts
Nope, I already have the dual-tstat. Have been using that version for years. What Roger is talking about is "overshoot", not pegging immediately on startup. Overshoot takes a few minutes then the tstat opens and the temp drops back down.

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
Sounds to me like a bad ground connection. I don't know where to look on the older Toys. In general dash grounds are on the door pillar or behind the dash. I would also check the main body ground at the battery.

·
Registered
4,995 Posts
this is one of three things.
bad cluster
bad connections
bad charching, as in overcharging.

your gauges are run by resistance from voltage, if they are pegged that is showing too much volts.

but i wold check connections and grount first.

·
Registered
470 Posts
the 85 speedo is mechanical. mine did the same this, you can get a new speedo gear from toyota, not sure on the price. Mine went out b/c the bearing was destroy which cause the speedometer to jump and eventually go out because the plastic gear stripped out.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
check the ground right behind the gauge cluster. Toyota use multi grounded curcuits(meaning all circuits have more then 1 ground point) but it might be worth a try. did you spill anything down the dash??? I would pull the meter assem. and clean the connections.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the help, ill start tomorrow by checking all the grounds, that intrests me about having too much volts, my last toy the volts were a little above the mid line, in this truck they are right under the top line, the only time they ever dropped was when i develpoed a bad connection to the alternator, at that point they where just above the mid line, my charging light was on and the car would only run when connected to another cars battery while it was running, otherwise it would drain power until it finally died. If i was running a more powerful alternator, could this have anything to do with the problem? also running one of those gel cell batterys.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
if it was the alternator, the guages should work with my alternator disconnected with jumper wires connected to another car right?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts