Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just got my purdy little 87 4runner this evening (had it shipped from Denver, it was an Ebay thing ;) ). It's a 22r/e-5 speed. The guy I bought it from said he believed it had a bad head gasket due to HC's in the coolant. It ran ok, but I tore the head off tonight anyways since I had planned it from the start. I'm not new to engines, but I am new to this 'furin' stuff. :D

I did a comp check and all cyl ran about 150 (on my crappy guage) except #3 that read around 130. I'm guessing this was the leaky one. I couldn't really see any 'smoking gun' on the head gasket issue, but I did notice a slightly different coloration from the #3, to the bolt hole and water jacket. I THINK that might be where it was. Any suggestions on stuff to look for that is Toy specific when it comes to this sort of thing? I'm already doing the timing chain since it's apart, any other suggestions?

One thing did strike me as strange. I noticed that the #1 and #3 cylinders looked like the exhaust valves were wet while #2 and #4 were dry. Any idea what might cause this?

EDIT: One more thing, it won't seem to go into 1st gear fully. Is that a common issue?

BTW, what brainiac decided runnning a wiring loom under the plenum, and through the middle of the lower intake manifold was a good idea? :shaking: What a PITA that is making everything. I pulled a couple of 22r heads off in the last week or 2 for a friend, and damn that was a lot easier! :laughing:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Valve seals could be dried up and the exhaust guides could be toasted

·
Registered
12,164 Posts
as far as the ytranny not going fully into 1st gear , there is a plastic cup at the end of the shifter , it could be broken or missing , as well as the plastic ring

Bushing, Shift Lever 33548-31010 $3.74
Seat, Shift Lever 33505-35020 $8.89

·
Registered
25,026 Posts
Richard said:

These are Toyota factory parts Erich (all of their parts are 2 sets of 5 numbers, so you can recognize them later).

·
Registered
4,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
CRAZY MATT said:
Valve seals could be dried up and the exhaust guides could be toasted
I was kind of thinking that. I just found it odd that it was only on #1 and 3. 2 and 4 look perfect. A

Richard said:
as far as the ytranny not going fully into 1st gear , there is a plastic cup at the end of the shifter , it could be broken or missing , as well as the plastic ring

Good deal, and thanks for the info!

Thanks to you also Paz for increasing my knowledge of factory Toy parts. It seems like every time I talk to you, I leave feeling enlightened. You need to quit being helpfull, or risk ruining your hard earned reputation.

:flipoff2:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts