Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought an 85 4runner today. The owner said the engine needed replaced because it was knocking.When I got it home I started it and it was making the most god awful sounds.It idled for about 45 seconds while I looked it over and found oil leaking down the side of the block.I shut it off and took a closer look.There is a 2-3 in. hole in the side of the block with a connecting rod sticking out.My question is I have an 84 and an 85 22r.Can I use the bottom end of either of these motors and mate it with the head and EFI from the blown motor? Any suggestions,tips ,tricks,opinions or sources of information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
If your'e swapping blocks there should be no problem...

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
As long as both engines are short or tall blocks you'll have no problems.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Same thing happened to me last month. Had to swap out the motor. My connecting rod went through both sides of the block. You could look through the motor. It sucked. Make sure your new block has the flat top pistons. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
take the motor that runs better and bolt your EFI intake and exhaust manifold and distributor etc on it. '84 and '85 heads and blocks aren't really interchangeable, but the EFI stuff should be

1 - 6 of 6 Posts