Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
okay, im looking into buying a 88 toy and sas'ing to replace my beat up 81 as my wheeler... yada yada yada you get it take all my parts off and put it on that. MY question is im going to be putting a 22re i dont have yet but i am looking to acquire soon to put into this truck, does anyone know of any problems with doing this? should be a direct bolt in and wire up correct?

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
If you mean you're planning to put a 22RE into a truck that has the 3VZ-E 3.0 V6, then NO it is not a direct bolt in. The tranny is different, the wiring is different, the computer is different, the engine mounts are totally different, yada yada yada.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
my bad 3.0 v6... i realize the wiring and computer would be diffrent but, the motor mounts are diffrent? i realize the tranny is diffrent i will be using a w56 with dual cases behind the 22re. So the mounts are diffrent... anyone done this swap yet, searched but didnt find anything usefull..

·
Registered
928 Posts
Dood, you are going to have better luck swapping in a 3.4 5vzfe than putting a 22-re in there. I bet the amount total work would end up being the same.

Unless there is a specific reason for you wanting a 22-re, think about the alternative. Much better driveabilty and equal reliability with the 5v.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well shiat... maybe a 3.4 is the way to go. ill check it out, thanks guys. if anyone who has done this would like to chime in go ahead.

·
Registered
1 Posts
See now never owning a Toyota that had anything but the 22r or 22re and knowing how durable and long lasting they are I would do the same. I have only hear good from the 4 bangers vs v6 seem to have head gasket issues. Plus gas mileage is about the same. I have seen some 22re or better turbo one have some good power and mated with a good transfer case and tranny they can crawl. Just depends on what you want. Like a crawler and weight is an issue or raw power is more important over balance weight

·
Registered
621 Posts
See now never owning a Toyota that had anything but the 22r or 22re and knowing how durable and long lasting they are I would do the same. I have only hear good from the 4 bangers vs v6 seem to have head gasket issues. Plus gas mileage is about the same. I have seen some 22re or better turbo one have some good power and mated with a good transfer case and tranny they can crawl. Just depends on what you want. Like a crawler and weight is an issue or raw power is more important over balance weight
SMH

·
Registered
3 Posts
I 22re swapped my 1990 3.0 5speed 4Runner, it’s more work than a 3.4 swap, I ended up swapping in a w56 after playing with the idea of a turbo bell housing, trailgear 4cyl crossmember lines up with the v6 crossmember mounts, so that was good for getting my drivetrain where it needed to be, had to build new motor mounts, I only used the 22re engine harness and adapted it to the 3.0 body harness, the only thing I modified on the 3.0 harness was I had to lengthen the alternator plug. Runs great but it’s on 40’s and tons, and weighs 5300 lbs, definitely should have went with a 3.4 for more power, still does great offroad but I’m not winning any races on the street or driving it up any big grades

1 - 11 of 11 Posts