Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 92 Toyota 4x4 and decided to rebuild a 22RE for the fun of it. I have never rebuilt an engine before. On the faces of three of the pistons are the numbers 2 and 3. On the face of the forth one are the numbers 3 and 3. Does anyone know what these numbers mean? On three of the rods C3 is stamped on the side. And on the last one is stamped B3. I have a manual that says there are three different sized connecting rod bearings. The machinist I took the block to said it made no difference. Before I put it all back together I want to make sure I get it right. I have other questions but this a start. Thanks for any help. Whartex:cool2:

·
Registered
909 Posts
If these markings are the same as what I found on my bearings, then they are slight size differences (like less than .0005") to allow for looser machining tolerances at the factory. Bearings had A,B,C,or D on them for this reason, depending on where the crank grind landed. Check your FSM and see, I don't have mine with me.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Well, now looking in my FSM I don't see anything regarding marks on pistons. Either way though, it won't matter if you're boring it out for new ones.

I was wrong about the bearing size markings they have about a .002" range.

·
Registered
802 Posts
I believe there is only A,B,or C for the rod bearings. At least toyota made sure the tolerances were right before selling the vehicle unlike some chevy vortec engines that have cold start knock and low oil pressure due to inaccurate tolerances that were ignored during assembly. Then they pass the buck to the owner.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I talked to some long time Toyota mechanics and parts guys about this.
The consensus was that it is a factory thing, and they didn't think those bearings were available. They said if I was not turning the std. crank, use aftermarket std. bearings.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thanks

Thanks to everyone who replied to my questions. Now I have a question about out of round tolerances and bore taper that I will post in a new thread.:cool2: Oh ya, no one posted anything about the numbers on the faces of the pistons. Can anyone answer that question?

·
Registered
909 Posts
I'm not sure anyone knows about the markings. Maybe another good speculation would be weights. Is the 3/3 piston coupled with the B3 rod? Maybe the piston is heavier than the others and the rod is lighter than the others, so the motor comes from the manufacturer already balanced accross the cylinders.

Clean 'em good and try weighing them. Since you're asking about taper it sounds like you're going to reuse the pistons?!?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was going to reuse them per the advice of the machinist I took the engine to but.... I am beginning to wonder.....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts