Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 22re and have been chasing a problem for a while. My engine idles rough, has poor gas mileage, and when crusing and accelerating it seems to hesitate or have a loss of power! this thing is pissing me off! I have a new cap, rotor,plugs, wires,fuel filter, air filter, t-chain, headgasket. TPS adjustment done. help me please!!!

·
Registered
726 Posts
TRY a new Cat converter this really helps mine every 2-3 yrs =$99.00 Installed.I get the 2.25"

+ a GOOD quality 02 Exzost sensor too. = $ 50.-$79.99 SOLDER Wire to old factory connector,EFI wont be happy with a CRIMP!

170 - 180 thermo stat = cant hurt.

Tell us what fixed it.

Hope this will help,cant hurt,
All the $$ You have spent!!!!!:D

·
Banned
4,587 Posts
cbr954rr said:
I have a 22re and have been chasing a problem for a while. My engine idles rough, has poor gas mileage, and when crusing and accelerating it seems to hesitate or have a loss of power! this thing is pissing me off! I have a new cap, rotor,plugs, wires,fuel filter, air filter, t-chain, headgasket. TPS adjustment done. help me please!!!
Mine acted the same way and from replacing everything under the hood electronically from a different vehicle, I narrowed it down to the ECU. Put a good used one in and now she runs good:D
Danny

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
do you think a bad alternator could be the cause? everything on the truck has 150,000 miles on it, exept every thing listed, I also had the injectors clean and blueprinted.

how did you narrow it down to the ecu?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i just checked for codes and it didn't give me any. the strange thing is that my toyota manual says that it should flash two times per a second but it doesn't flash at all? what does this mean, is toyota wrong?

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
You check carefully for vacume leaks? Check the intake manifold gasket with some carb cleaner. I had simular symptoms and finally found a crack in the air intake tube where it makes a 90* in front of the throttle body heading towards the AFM. It was in the bottom side and I finally saw it because of the dust buildup in the tube... you could only see it when it got twisted a little.

·
I brought the beer
11,347 Posts
paniolo said:
You check carefully for vacume leaks? Check the intake manifold gasket with some carb cleaner. I had simular symptoms and finally found a crack in the air intake tube where it makes a 90* in front of the throttle body heading towards the AFM. It was in the bottom side and I finally saw it because of the dust buildup in the tube... you could only see it when it got twisted a little.
I second this, I ws having the same problems as you but it got real bad out at JV. A buddy of mine tweaks the 90 and the engine just dies out. The flex tube going into the manifold was cracked. Half roll of good electrical tape later and the engine ran fine.

Dave

·
Registered
3,850 Posts
JeepRecoveryTeam said:

I second this, I ws having the same problems as you but it got real bad out at JV. A buddy of mine tweaks the 90 and the engine just dies out. The flex tube going into the manifold was cracked. Half roll of good electrical tape later and the engine ran fine.

Dave
I third this: Mine has had duct tape holding it together for 6 months:D:D

·
Registered
197 Posts
I`ll throw a 4th in there, but before you check for leaks, are you sure that the timing isnt off? And as for codes, it should blink once when the computer finds no faults, I forget the interval in between blinks, but you should be getting a single flash.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I check for cracks, found none. the ecu does not even blink once it just stays on! I already checked for vacuum leaks , spray the intake down with carb cleaner, no leaks their either.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
cbr954rr said:
I check for cracks, found none. the ecu does not even blink once it just stays on! I already checked for vacuum leaks , spray the intake down with carb cleaner, no leaks their either.
are you sure your shorting the right conecter for the ECU reading?if it's not blinking some thing is wrong ether your in the rong hole or something is wrong with the ecu

·
Registered
77 Posts
Check for exhaust leak. Mine ran rough when there was an exhaust leak. Have someone block the exhaust pipe, and listen for leak sound. Check all the exhaust bolts for tightness including the down pipe. Manifold will warp if bolts are loose. Exhaust leak will screw up the O2 sensor reading.

Ben

·
Registered
5,225 Posts
Let us know what you find. I have a similar problem on my toy. No codes but it has an erratic idle. I've replaced just about everything but the ecu and it still does this. I guess it's time to try a different ECU.

·
Registered
49 Posts
cbr954rr: I ran a few fuel delivery checks yesterday to make sure I didn't have any short in any of the wiring to the injectors. I also double checked all the injectors. Everything seemed good.

So just for the hell of it I pulled the valve cover one more time and re-ran the valve clearances. They seemed a little tight, but not too drastic. I did back a few of them off .001"

Fired the truck back up and wha-da-ya-know.....the miss/stumble was gone. I'm just glad I didn't dump anymore money into buying new injectors :D I must have just had a valve that was hangin' open just slightly.

Morale of 'my' story...always check the stuff that doesn't cost ya' any $$$ FIRST ! Then start replacing parts :D

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.