Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I did run through the search but did not see this symptom. The truck is a 92 toyota 22re. After driving for about 15 minutes the engine starts to surge. Runs fine for the first 15 minutes or so. I swapped the coil but did not fix the problem. Now I am courious about the fuel pump, when it warms up could it be the cause. I still have a few other things to check out, but if someone knows what else needs to be done Let me hear it. Thank you

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Check and see if throttle body is full of carbon especially at the throttle plate. If it is try cleaning with some throttle body cleaner spay and a tooth brush, not the one you are currently using. As a Toyota Tech I see this a lot

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have this problem to...

my 92 sems to have this issue to. I just threw a jacobs system in and a tps. No luck so far. Let me know if you have luck with your rig!

·
Registered
63 Posts
how about changing the fuel filter?

my 83 carb truck did that and it was a fuel filter clogged. it would run fine for a while (15 min or so) and slowly the fuel line would depressurize and eventually the fuel supply would get interrupted causing surging, poor running etc... i guess i got some bad gas or something clogged it.

check that ( read ... replace :D ) before you drop the tank and check the pump..

·
Registered
93 Posts
I don't know where the 92 fuel filter is, but if it's in the same place as the 87, it's a toss up as to whether it's easier to drop teh tank and check teh pump, or replace the filter. Man, those things are a PITA!

·
savage
1,973 Posts
carefully check the flex hose that connects the airbox to the throttle body. They crack all the time on the bottom where you can't see it and cause all kinds of weird problems. I've seen this over and over on 22RE engines.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The fuel filter is pretty new. It was replaced along with the head about 3000 miles ago. I will check the egr, throttle body, and air lines tonight. Thanks

·
Registered
63 Posts
yea scottz is right about the rubber intake elbows. they like to crack and it causes alot of problems, especially on older trucks

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I checked the air intake elbow and it was not cracked, but it was loose at the clamp. That solved the problem. I also noticed that a few of my wires from the main harness had been in contact with the EGR? and it melted the outer caseing?. If wires were to get hot, could it send a message to the ECM or something to make it run poorly?. THank you for your help. Bryan

1 - 10 of 10 Posts