Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought an '85 ext cab today.
Ran great while test driving it. Drove 100 miles on the highway and now the thing is continuously stalling. The centre bearing on the driveshaft is considerably sloppy. It does need a new clutch (but not that badly), it makes a lot of noise in all but 4th gear (tranny noise) as well as while idling with the clutch pedal released and in neutral (but not with the clutch depressed). The engine stalls while starting from a complete stop or while just idling. Once underway the truck surges while in first (is this a clutch thing?). But once you are into second gear and rolling it fine from there.
When idling the rpms fluctuate and occassionally result in a stall.

My first suspision is a vacume leak or problem of some kind. If it is, any suggestions on finding the problem? Could this also be a problem with thetiming?

Any knowledgeable help would be greatly appreciated (this is my first 22re). The worst part is that I still have to drive 300 or so miles to get home! hahaha

Thanks,
Greg

·
Registered
102 Posts
my vote is drive line problem...i would say some of the noise your saying is the throwout bearing but i'm not sure if it would cause it to surge..maybe if it was semi seized it would act like that but i would imagine you would get a lot of noise from it.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wish the centre bearing was the source of the noise but it is definitely from the tranny. It even makes the same sound (not as loud) when it is parked in neutral. When I crawled under the truck I can tell the noise is coming specifically from the forward most portion of the tranny. But when you press the clutch pedal in the noise stops. So maybe the foreward most bearing in the tranny?

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
sounds like you already know where the problems are in the clutch, trans, and driveshaft. if the trans has been pissing gear oil, better check the level before going much farther. dump in a can of seafoam and give the engine a tuneup when you get home. if you get stranded, yell for help-someone may be close enough to lend a hand.

·
Registered
11,586 Posts
rebuild the tranny. It doesn't matter what bearing it is you replace them ALL. If one bearing crapped then the parts from it has been run through all of them.

You are correct. 4th gear cluster is the first one on the input shaft and when the bearing eats it thats the gear that puts the stress on the bearing.

WHY:

It was probably run low on gear oil. Honestly that is the highest bearing in the tranny. Its the one with the least oiling. Run the tranny a 1/2 quart over.

http://www.marlincrawler.com/ sells a bearing kit. Its no longer listed on the site but they do sell them. About $225.

·
Registered
552 Posts
As for the motor, 99% of my 22re's issues were vacuum leaks. Check the air intake tube from the box to the throttle body. Mine had a fat hole in it from the PS pump pulley. The flexible joints can crack. Also, keep the motor reved up so it'll run and use carb cleaner to spray around the manifold, vacuum lines, etc/ When the motor kicks up you'll have found your leak.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update

Centre bearing on driveshaft replaced, wasn't the probelm at all (but had to be done). Surging was not caused by ignition, clutch, vacume leak, or anything of the sort. I checked the compression and it was low on all cylinders (squirting oil through plug holes didn't change it). Therefore it was the timing chain. Pulled her apart and sure enough the drivers side guide was not existent. Good thing tha I had bought a chain kit and cover before I even bought the truck! just figured I'd probably need one someday.

I'll post the change in compression and the change in the way it runs once I get it all put back together.

Next job wil be to tackle the tranny noise. Just need to find a tranny to sub in while I rebuild mine.

Thanks for the suggestions.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts