Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't done this in about 2 yrs so need some hand holding... I just swapped in my LC head and put in metal guides/timing chain w/ an adjustable cam. Since I'm starting out "new" up top, I couldn't use the "TDC and leave it" method for making sure I'm set up right.

This is what I remember:

1) set cylinder 1 to TDC with the timing mark at 0
2) then I want to make sure the cam is pointing straight up (more or less) with the intake and exhaust valves closed
3) then put the dist in with the rotor pointed to cylinder one

how far off am I?

·
Banned
9,402 Posts
Not totally sure on what you are after but this is how I would do it.

Since the timing chain is marked (silver links vs the black ones) and the timing chain gears should be marked (with small dot near the teeth) that should put everything into "sink" with each component. I think the two silver links go on the cam gear where the single link goes on the crank gear. So first install new timing gears and chain in correct location. Then install dist to the correct tooth so it aligns with #1 cylinder.

If you want to get real techincal and your using an adjustable timing gear then there are other things you should check. First off your TDC mark probably isn't at TRUE TDC. that is check by finding the spot where the piston is highest in the block. my TDC mark is about 1 degree off. Then from that using a Degree wheel and a dial indictar you can check your cam lobes and compare them to your cam specs. also there is more confusing here since some specs are based on lobe center at a certain amount of open and others are maxium lift. I think I've got my adj timing gear set to like 4 degrees advanged to get everything to come out right.

There is a good article on 4x4 wire about "degreeing in a cam" if thats what your doing.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info guys! Rick said what I was trying to confirm, but said it much clearer than me :D I will definitely be degreeing the cam once I'm up and running, so thanks for the links.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.