Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
22re to T-18 adapter (pics)

I already posted this in general tech, but I guess most people give a crap about the 22re so I posted it here too.

This is part of my Willys project. I had a complete Toyota drivetrain, but it was too long for the short wheel base. I found a great deal on a T-18, and I just had to use it.

The tranny has T-98 gears and input shaft. That is why I have a 1 3/8" input shaft. Since Toyota's have removeable bellhousings, it was not too hard to fab up a plate to adapt the bellhousing to the tranny using 1/2" plate.

The input shaft splines were cut back 3/16", and the pilot stub was machined to fit the 22re's pilot bearing. I bought a throwout bearing to fit the input shaft. It was quite a bit bigger than the original Toyota throwout bearing so the clutch fork was modified to fit.

The clutch disk is a Toyota disc, but required machining and a center hub to match the input shaft. I bought a clutch disc for 1 3/8" shaft, and cut the center hub out on a lathe. The same was done with the Toyota center hub, but the center was machined to fit the 1 3/8" hub. The new hub was TIG welded to the Toyota center.

Here are the pictures -

·
Registered
27,885 Posts
damn!! i cant believe your not getting more responces, good people, realize the t18 can have a 6.3sumthin:1 first gear:eek: ! whats first with the t98 gearing? can you stick a couple of toy Tcases behiind it?:D

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thats nice! The T-18 can have a 6.32:1 first gear. I know cause I have been running one in my toy for about 8 yrs now. Mine however is hooked to a 302 and then adapted to dual toy cases. Great job on yours.

·
Registered
6,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I thought I would get a lot of responses, but maybe people don't care. The T-98 gearing is 6.40:1, but I only used it because the T-18 gears were 4 to 1. I wanted to run this setup because it is almost a foot shorter than a Toy 5-speed / single Toy case.

I actually had the 22re to start with. It has been in the Willys, but previously had a toy tranny / transfer case. I like the engine, but have consider a 302 or 4.3. I may end up doing that in the future.

·
Registered
996 Posts
OTT makes an adapter to bolt a SM420 to a 22R and with a little lower than 7:1 1st:eek: Is cooler but since you made this by your self nice job!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Props for the workmanship and creativity! Seems to me the 'Yota motor would be a great powerplant for a smallish machine like the Willy's.:bounce: :bounce2:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts