Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 85 Toyota with the 22re and I'm having a hard time finding my problem. My truck will run for about 20 min idling and then it will die and will also die driving. When i go to restart the truck with will run for 10 sec. but there is no throttle. It has a newer TPS, mass air, fuel pump, egr valve and I have just redone the intake because i was thinking it had a intake leak. I have replaced all vacuum lines with in the last year. I don't know if anyone has any ideas. I know its something electrical or sensor but I'm not sure where to start looking. Please help me out I want to go wheeling.

·
Registered
373 Posts
you need to start with some basic tests. when it dies and wont restart does it have fuel pressure does it have strong spark to the plugs.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Not sure if this is true or not. I've heard that when there is high voltage present, material's dielectric strength tends to break down, i.e. plugs, cap, coil, etc.

So what I'm trying to say is that when you start the truck the spark is following the correct path, but eventually the spark starts arcing to something that it shouldn't be. One time my coil head cracked, hairline crack, and it would sputter n run and then die. It was just arcing to the ground wire on the coil.

Let 'er run in the dark n watch for arcs.

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
I have a 85 Toyota with the 22re and I'm having a hard time finding my problem. My truck will run for about 20 min idling and then it will die and will also die driving. When i go to restart the truck with will run for 10 sec. but there is no throttle. It has a newer TPS, mass air, fuel pump, egr valve and I have just redone the intake because i was thinking it had a intake leak. I have replaced all vacuum lines with in the last year. I don't know if anyone has any ideas. I know its something electrical or sensor but I'm not sure where to start looking. Please help me out I want to go wheeling.
Try pulling the codes, if something electrical is the problem this is your best bet.

You can eliminate sensors\electrical components that don't react to engine temperature (TPS in particular) since it sounds like it only happens when it's hot.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have and 85 22re and harness that was in an automatic that i swaped into a differant truck that is a manuel that was carbed. I pluged in all the wires but it doesn't start.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Not sure if this is true or not. I've heard that when there is high voltage present, material's dielectric strength tends to break down, i.e. plugs, cap, coil, etc.

So what I'm trying to say is that when you start the truck the spark is following the correct path, but eventually the spark starts arcing to something that it shouldn't be. One time my coil head cracked, hairline crack, and it would sputter n run and then die. It was just arcing to the ground wire on the coil.

Let 'er run in the dark n watch for arcs.
thats right. its called carbon tracking. and again you are right. the best way to check for carbon tracking or arcing, is in the dark.

it can also occur on the inside of caps. and I have seen it a hundred times times on brand new OE Jeep/Dodge caps.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts