Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just finished putting an 85 efi moter into an 86 efi 4runner today, I finished up everything and went to start it and all it does is when you turn the key to were it should start cranking it just cuts all power and nothing happens. My dad said sometimes there will be a presure valve to let out air from the injectors when an engine has sat along time....Is there one of these? Also isn't the fuel pump supposed to shut off once it has built up pressure? It just keeps going and doesn't shut off......Should it keep going or should it turn off?

Thanks, James

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
just a little thing, but is your battery dead maybe? good luck with that.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
toyotaboy said:
Also isn't the fuel pump supposed to shut off once it has built up pressure? It just keeps going and doesn't shut off......Should it keep going or should it turn off?
It should keep going. They toy design allows lotsa return flow, in order to keep the pump cooled.

I would say you got something wrong in your starter circuit, a bad starter or else a dead battery.

·
Registered
609 Posts
the airflow meter has a built in switch to turn the fuel pump on as the air starts to get sucked into the motor. it works that way so you only get fuel preasure when cranking or running for safety reasons.it sounds like the air fflow door is stuck in a open position or a relay is stuck, but if the truk has sat for a long time then it is probably the afm. also check the grounds to make sure that they are tight and clean

·
Registered
217 Posts
Along the same lines but, when I have had the same thing happen I just cleaned the terminals on the battery really good to make sure I have a good connection, and it works fine. Good luck with it, I know how it feels to just get done with and engine and it not work, see my other post.:D

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well it was the starter...I had a mechanic friend of mine that used to own a Toyota Repair shop stop by and see if he could figure it out and he srewed around w/ abunch of different wires and clips and finally said "this is my last guess" and tapped the starter w/ a hammer and had me turn the key again, This time it started. I guess when he said a starter sits for a long time without being used they stop working so i replaced the starter and it works great now. By the way the 205k engine fired up perfecly and runs smoother than the engine in my truck w/ 120,00 miles. Thanks for all the help:)

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
So you got her running?? Good Job!!!! Definitely went to a good home. :D :bounce: :bounce2:

·
Registered
181 Posts
Just a suggestion , but one day I went to the store came back out and had the same problem in my 94 EFI and it turned out to be a loose battery connection .

1 - 9 of 9 Posts