Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well knowing I would need to replce the motor I didnt want to do it this soon I figured the white sweet smelling smoke was water in the oil. Sure enough, drained the oil and water was first to tell me what I didnt want to know. So whats the best route to go (I still want the 22re) rebuild, reman. used motor etc.? Whos good to deal with? I could rebuild... but I cant do the machine work. Maybe I could get lucky and just be head work. I dont know how long the water has been in the oil..what would be the risks in just doing the head. If crank bearings are bad and they let go after fixing the head whats the penelty?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
24,646 Posts
I had a local machine shop that has done a lot of toys in the past (good thing to check on), and had them do the manchine work (head, bore, clean, crank kit, etc) and they sold me the pistins, rings, bearings, water and oil pump, timing chain, guides, sprockets and all the gaskets for $700, and I had to put it all back together. Not a bad deal I don't think, it was my first rebuild, and went rather smoothly. Got about 15K on it with no problems.

Know a guy that is on his sencond reman. ATK engine and is having a tough time getting some if any of the work covered under warranty.

Good Luck
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,403 Posts
Whatever you do don't buy a remanufactured engine, you will not be happy! I went through two and it was a nightmare! One was a $999 Pep Boys Special, and the other was a Bay Area rebuilder. They will find every reason under the sun not to cover their warrenties. Both had metal shavings that were not cleaned out of the block and head and ate the bearings and crank. Never again, it's either brand new or rebuilt by me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So who would be good for a new motor, and what could I expect to pay to rebuild myself? I would just have to pay for parts and machining. Ill do the rest. Who would be good to get the parts from?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,010 Posts
sounds like your head gasket is worn out.
have you checked the head. if the oil looks like chocolet milk the head gasket is bad or else your head bolts have crystalized from the heat from not having any coolant. i had an 94 pontiac sunbird. the filler tube on the radiator got a hole in it. new radiator and a new head gasket. 2 months latter because the head bolts were screwed i had to replace the whole engine. took about a month in my geerage. sucked

so i would just go for a new engine and save the pain in the arse for another time!!
<IMG SRC="smilies/bounce.gif" border="0"> <IMG SRC="smilies/bounce2.gif" border="0"> <IMG SRC="smilies/bounce.gif" border="0"> <IMG SRC="smilies/csmile.gif" border="0">
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
65 Posts
I'm getting my 22re bored right now, cost me 50 bucks at local machine shop, and I'm going to go with engnbldr rebuid kit. I've shopped around and it is the cheapest, 275 for, pistons, all bearings, oil pump, full gasket kit, water jackets, and I think that is it, plus shipping and handling. I've been researching it for a while and that is the cheapest I can find, maybe he will read this and give me free shipping or something <IMG SRC="smilies/wink.gif" border="0"> <IMG SRC="smilies/biggrin.gif" border="0"> . Anyway haven't ordered it yet but that will definately be the kit that I got with, I'm guessing my total cost for teh rebuild doing it all myself, except machine shop stuff, will be around 550 - 700 depending on how much they charge me to redwork the head. Anyway the only way to go in my opinion is to rebuild it yourself, he if you never did it, get yourself a Haynes or a Chilton and learn while you go. Thats how I did it. This is now my third rebuild and i learn how to do it all over again everytime, oh well sorry for the long wind but theres you some info. <IMG SRC="smilies/biggrin.gif" border="0">
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,501 Posts
Originally posted by 86Project:
<STRONG>..and I'm going to go with engnbldr rebuid kit. I've shopped around and it is the cheapest, 275 for, pistons, all bearings, oil pump, full gasket kit, water jackets.

> I've been researching it for a while and that is the cheapest I can find, <IMG SRC="smilies/biggrin.gif" border="0"></STRONG>
Why are you looking for 'the cheapest one I can find'?? <IMG SRC="smilies/confused.gif" border="0"> Maybe it's just me, but when it comes to engine internals I'm usually not looking for the 'cheapest' stuff. I want parts that I don't have to worry about once they go in. May cost more, but the peace of mind is priceless! <IMG SRC="smilies/biggrin.gif" border="0">
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
525 Posts
Originally posted by Frame Bender:
<STRONG>Why are you looking for 'the cheapest one I can find'?? <IMG SRC="smilies/confused.gif" border="0"> Maybe it's just me, but when it comes to engine internals I'm usually not looking for the 'cheapest' stuff. I want parts that I don't have to worry about once they go in. May cost more, but the peace of mind is priceless! <IMG SRC="smilies/biggrin.gif" border="0"></STRONG>
I agree, the stuff you want to use is the stuff that has been used and abuse and not failed. This may cost you abit more, so don't just look at the cost.
 

·
Wicked Raciest !
Joined
·
17,737 Posts
Originally posted by 86Project:
<STRONG>I'm getting my 22re bored right now, cost me 50 bucks at local machine shop, and I'm going to go with engnbldr rebuid kit. I've shopped around and it is the cheapest, 275 for, pistons, all bearings, oil pump, full gasket kit, water jackets, and I think that is it, plus shipping and handling. I've been researching it for a while and that is the cheapest I can find, maybe he will read this and give me free shipping or something <IMG SRC="smilies/wink.gif" border="0"> <IMG SRC="smilies/biggrin.gif" border="0"> . Anyway haven't ordered it yet but that will definately be the kit that I got with, I'm guessing my total cost for teh rebuild doing it all myself, except machine shop stuff, will be around 550 - 700 depending on how much they charge me to redwork the head. Anyway the only way to go in my opinion is to rebuild it yourself, he if you never did it, get yourself a Haynes or a Chilton and learn while you go. Thats how I did it. This is now my third rebuild and i learn how to do it all over again everytime, oh well sorry for the long wind but theres you some info. <IMG SRC="smilies/biggrin.gif" border="0"></STRONG>
Sorry Charlie, I eat only the best Tuna, In other words you get what you pay for!! And cheap engine parts are just that, cheap. Hell I just paid $295.00 to have my cylinders bored, two new pistons and rings and a upper end gasket set for my Classic Triumph MC.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,010 Posts
the old saying:
"you get what you pay for"
applys here! <IMG SRC="smilies/puke.gif" border="0">
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
15,352 Posts
Unless you know the products, just because its cheap does not mean its bad, there are a few supliers out there that make something for about 5 different brands, all putting there own label on it, but that comes from knowing the products and doing a large # of rebuilds....
Not a matter of $$$, its more knowing the product and who builds it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,861 Posts
Fix the headgasket and drive it until it blows up. Thats what I decided to do with mine. My rod bearings knock until it warms up but I don't care. I can still do 80mph. I am going to buy a good used block and rebuild it. When the motor takes a shit I will yank it and put the good one in.
Aaron
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
22,080 Posts
I rebuilt my blown engine just in case (replaced with reman). Cost me about 800 to bore, hone, polish crank, new pistons, rings, bearings, etc... oh and hot tanked... and the gasket kit.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the replys....time to dive in. I think for now Ill try the gasket and start rounding up a rebuild. Now the question is who should I get the parts from? Thanks again.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,996 Posts
Originally posted by xextr3m3:
<STRONG>www.doaracingengines.com www.lcengineering.com
just to name a few good companies
</STRONG>
<font color="yellow">
Talk to Tim at DOA. I've had a couple of conversations with him, and can confidently say that he knows the inside of a 22RE like Marlin knows a W56 Tranny. One caution though - the guy has dozens of conversations most days, so don't expect him to remember you the first time you call back there unless you talk about something rather unusual to stick in his mind.

I've found that "The guy who's got 11K on his 22RE after Hydro-Locking it" seemed to jog his memory <IMG SRC="smilies/wink.gif" border="0"></font>
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,403 Posts
Northern Auto Parts also sells complete rebuild kits for engines. They have a website but I'm a computer retard so I don't know how to link it. The kit with all you need to rebuilt the engine runs about $350.
It will probably cost anywhere from $800 to $1000 to do a quality rebuild yourself, including machine work, block and head, and parts. Whatever you do don't cut costs or take shortcuts. Take you time and remember the cleaner the block and parts are the longer your motor will last. And always install a new oil pump and water pump.
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top