Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone running a 23 spline Dana 70? I picked up one without checking the shafts and I already got it all cleaned up and ready for new perches and what not. Id much rather just use this since its ready for gears and everything. Should I just upgrade it to 35 spline 70 shafts or just start over with a different rear?

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
D70

Flatxj.....No I myself did not use the 23 spline version, however I did utilize the axle shafts, spindles/drums/flanges on my former coarse spline D60 w/35 spline Detroit. We found it under a 72' Dodge motorhome it was a dually. I believe you can upgrade to 35 spline. Buy a 35 spline locker when you re-gear. Your fall back position could be (if you cant locate entire 35 spline D70) would be to buy Yukon 35 spline cut to fit axleshafts. :smokin:

·
Registered
3,703 Posts
What diameter are the splines? I have always been curious. If they are 1.5" I would run them, just measure for alloy replacements now, and buy them if you ever end up needing them.

·
Registered
10,470 Posts
The splines in my 23 sp. D70 (from a M715) had an OD of 1.5", but the axleshaft necked down to 1.200-1.250".

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah the OD is 1.5 but ill have to check if they neck down. Id like to just use it since I have it already but Im not sure what to do about a locker and gears..Idk I might just find a good 60 for the rear.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So what should I tell the gear guys when I order gears and a locker for it? I listed all the different numbers Ive found on the axle to the gear guys and they couldnt come up with anything for it.

I believe it is a ford rear and reading in another post I found there were 4 different types of bearings available..

·
Registered
4,591 Posts
Post the BOM.

Run it as it, and start looking for some 35 spline shaft in the junk yard. As I remember there are a few shafts that will interchange. Search for threads I started here on the 70, and on the sticky over at the Big Bronco site. (I think I post this info from 67 and newer)

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
So what should I tell the gear guys when I order gears and a locker for it? I listed all the different numbers Ive found on the axle to the gear guys and they couldnt come up with anything for it.

I believe it is a ford rear and reading in another post I found there were 4 different types of bearings available..
If you can find the BOM number that would help, if you can't find that get the part numbers off of the old ring and pinion gears. With the 23 spline axles it is quite possible that you have a .500 offset pinion housing and that makes a difference on what gears you need to order.

Gus

·
Registered
4,349 Posts
if it means anything, my truck has a GM "eaton" rear that has 17 spline shafts. i have seen plenty of people beat the ever living shit out of these axles and not seen one break. when i hit it with a tape measure the spline o.d. was close to 1.7 and necked down to 1.5, so its a tad bigger. still, in reality, i think the 23 would be more than enough unless you are running insane horsepower.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
I've had 23 spline in my Cruiser for 10 years.

Have broken 2 rear shafts in that time.

The should be fine in most cases.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The problem is I dont have the old gears that came out. I bought it as the housing with caps, brakes, hubs, and shafts. I have heard about the offset which Im hoping I dont have, but Ill get whatever numbers that are on the housing when I go out next. Thanks for all the help!

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Heres the numbers that were on the housing.

227-74

Main caps have:
C30257

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
OK well there was no other numbers on the housing, just went out and double checked. Even before I started cleaning it, there were no numbers, so nothing was ground off.

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
carefull 23 spline was more common in the older versions. around the same time the carrier offset switched. if you have (i beleive .5" offset) its space junk. look for the .625.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Found a few 14 bolts locally for cheap. Same guy I got the 70 from. Anything I need to look for in those?

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
Heres the numbers that were on the housing.

227-74

Main caps have:
C30257
I've got the same dana 70 axle with the same 034835 numbers on it. It also doesn't have anything else stamped on it. I do know that mine came out of a late 60's or early 70's Ford dually because that's what I pulled it from. Mine also has 4.56 gears in it stock and I still have the id tag of the diff cover. I'm debating on going to a 35 spline if it will work. I just got the axle last weekend and trying to figure out what to do with it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts