Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i still don't know the "formula" for checking to see how much the chain has stretched. mine is probably stock from 87. i don't have any issues in 4WD except when i throw the tranny in neutral to coast a ways i can here what i believe to be the chain rattling away. that would make sence, there being no torque on the chain but it is still spinng when in 4WD.

just wondering if anyone knows how to check it. i remember hearing something about taking the chain off, lying it flat on the floor and lifting up one end- then measure the "droop". if more than 1", replace.

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
sas87yj said:

just wondering if anyone knows how to check it. i remember hearing something about taking the chain off, lying it flat on the floor and lifting up one end- then measure the "droop". if more than 1", replace.
Chains do not cost that much. If you are actually going to pull the gawd damned thing out to "check" it, throw it away and install a new one:rolleyes:

·
Registered
979 Posts
Couple things. If it gets loose enough it'll carve out the inside of the case. That usually happens right when it gets loose enough to start slipping.

Now, this works for bicycles, motorcycles, snowmobile trannies, so it should work for t-case chains too- take the works out and hang the chain from the sprocket. If you can lift the top of the chain away from the sprocket more than ~1/16" I'd replace it. Or you can compare it to a new chain but that's a bitch to do accurately.

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Again, why would you pull the chain out and not swap it out???
That is like pulling out a clutch just to check it out. If you do not know the history of the t-case, and you doubt the chain at all, just replace it.:shaking:

·
Registered
29,224 Posts
If it is rattleing it may not be the chain. The chain could have pushed the oil catch tube, or it could have fallen out. That is what happened to mine. I had a god awful rattle, it was the chain rubbing against that. But, the best way to check the chain is to see how much slop is in your driveline between forward and reverse, which is easy to do in an auto.

But like Robert said, if you're gonna take the time to drop and split the case, replace the chain. You can get them cheap and CarQuest, they will be the the book with timing chains if they can't find them. They are a breeze to change, just like everything else about the NP231.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok guys- thanks

i was going to replace when i do the 4:1 when it gets here from utah. just was curious of ways to check it. the "pull it away from the sprocket" idea..duh, i said to myself! that's what i did all the time on my scooters when i used to desert race- just didn't think of it :)

i've had the chain out twice so far, when i did the SYE and when i swapped out the input gear from 21 to 23 spline for a tranny swap.

$89 at 4wheelers supply in phx.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Robert said:
Again, why would you pull the chain out and not swap it out???
That is like pulling out a clutch just to check it out. If you do not know the history of the t-case, and you doubt the chain at all, just replace it.:shaking:
Pretty quick w/ other peoples money aren't you?

·
Premium Member
2,414 Posts
Hell, if I was going to this much trouble I'd throw in the HD wide chain kit while I was at it.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
LUVMYTJ said:
THrow out bearing???? Does it do it with the clutch in while in nuetral?
nope- not talking about the clutch/throwout bearing. i have done clutch jobs and tranny swaps. we are talking t-case chains :)

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
withamc said:
Hell, if I was going to this much trouble I'd throw in the HD wide chain kit while I was at it.
i don't see the need for this- i have wheeled hard for 3 yrs on the stock chain- no breakage. i do see the chain needing replacing now and then- you KNOW they stretch. and after being inside the t-case twice already and blowing off the chain, i figure this trip i will put it to pasture :)

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
sas87yj said:

$89 at 4wheelers supply in phx.
Even that is too high. I got mine through Capitol Jeepers Supply for about $50.

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Slagburn said:

Pretty quick w/ other peoples money aren't you?
$50 is a drop in the bucket for a built 4x4. If that is too expensive, how can you justify even going four wheeling, where there is the possibility of doing hundreds, if not thousands of dollars worth in damages.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Robert said:

thanks- i'll give them a call today and see what's up. i could wait for $40 :)

·
Registered
134 Posts
Robert said:

$50 is a drop in the bucket for a built 4x4. If that is too expensive, how can you justify even going four wheeling, where there is the possibility of doing hundreds, if not thousands of dollars worth in damages.
:laughing:
Gawd...
How TRUE is that!
THAT is exactly what I don't unbderstand about supposed build-ups...
They skimp on everything, and then cry when it breaks.
20 years has taught me...it cost a nickle more to go first class....
.05, .50, $5.00, $50.00, $500.00 etc.....

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Robert said:

ok someone's smokin sumthin :)

i just called capitol jeepers- $93 for the chain plus shipping

he said "$50???hell, i pay more for that for em!"

anyway, thanks for the tip- you never know when a better deal will up and bite ya.

his teralow 4:1'S are $1019 plus shipping
i'm getting mine for $825 shipped from DC's in virginia

see what i mean?

·
Premium Member
2,414 Posts
TexasBlakeWFO said:

Now THOSE are expensive, you're lookin at $250 for the chain and the sprokets, unless you can find the larget NP231 at the dealer.
Yes they are. And by the time you upgrade the 231 with a 4:1 kit, SYE, chain kit, 2 wheel low, you might as well just call Steve N. and order an Atlas II.
I don't know about you guys, but after I've gotten the rig ready for a trip, loaded the trailer and camper, driven 200 miles to go wheeling for a weekend and snapped something I skimped on that blows my whole weekend, I would have rather spent the extra $250. Hard lesson learned over the years. And I STILL skimp on occasion :flipoff2:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts