Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I get tons of PMs and Emails asking about the 231 ebrake, to say the least its been a long project. It is definitly not bolt on with my RE long arm skid and the bracket itself did not line up very well. Since I needed a impact gun to change out my rear yoke I decided to just wait and use the CarolinaRockshop to do the install. It turned out to be a good move since not only was the impact needed but also the plasma cutter.

As you can see a pretty large whole had to be cut to fit the bracket with the RE skid. The bracket holes also had to be enlargened to make them line up with the Xfercase.

Thats a pic of just the ebrake.

That is the finished product, minus the cable which I'll have to do later. The cable is going to be no easy task, me and Andy spent a good amount of time trying to think of something but nothing looks easy.

I want to thank Andy (owner of CRS) for letting me use his shop for the install and for the advice/help during a few situations.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
sweet man...... I was gonna attempt the same thing until i strapped the new dynatrac 60/disc in the rear..... Shoot more pics when its complete!!!

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
the 231 shaft is not that strong?? have u upgraded it at all?? my friend jsut broke his saft and he is running a SYE !!!

stoney

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
stoneyxj said:
the 231 shaft is not that strong?? have u upgraded it at all?? my friend jsut broke his saft and he is running a SYE !!!

stoney

I have an upgrade 32 spline output shaft, its needed to run the ebrake kit.

·
Registered
9,338 Posts
nice polished turd dude :flipoff2:

Seriously though....you couldn't wait for an atlas? hehehe :beer:

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Jason R said:
nice polished turd dude :flipoff2:

Seriously though....you couldn't wait for an atlas? hehehe :beer:

Well after my third letter from the state about needing to pass inspection. (its been 16 months now) I was needing the quickest ebrake possible.

The best part is most of the kit works perfectly with the atlas, the only part I won't reuse is the 231 bracket. :flipoff2:

·
Registered
46 Posts
I don't know how strong that bracket it, but are you going to protect it at all. I am not sure, but it looks like you could weld something on there to keep it from catching a rock that slid across the rest of the skid plate. Otherwise it looks good man. I am trying to figure out a way to do an e brake too, and this is one idea I have looked into.

Jeremy

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
nice job dude. wouldnt it have been easier to install rear discs with provisions for an ebrake? that would have also given you the option of cutting brakes? just a thought. but it looks nice. too bad you had to cut the skid.couldnt you have lowered the skid a bit?

·
Registered
806 Posts
damn dude why did you hack up the skid...:confused: do you have a body lift...you should of just went with an atlas and be done.i have no problems with passing inspection here dude with no cables at all ,i had to make room for my airtank,anyways my atlas is on the way and out comes the 4.0 and nv-3550 along with the 231 and in goes a 2003 4.7HO with a six speed auto and a 3.8 atlas.its been so fawking long but what the hell the 1 tons are going in at the same time...good luck tell andy i say "HEY"

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The Bracket contacted the skid, so the skid had to be hacked. (and it was a reason to bring out the plasma cutter) Its no big deal, the skid is on its last days and is getting replaced with a perfectly flat one.

I have rear disc just no ebrake, I had planned on running this kit all along and in the end it will be just fine. I also run line locks for cutting.

Shawn, I failed inspection for lack of an ebrake so I gotta get it fixed, I took it for a second opinion but they could look up why it failed the first time. Good luck with the swap, I know your jeep has been out for a while, but if you get everything done it sounds like it will be well worth it.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Do you think the bracket bolted to a cast aluminum housing is a good idea? I know it's just an ebrake, but if you forget to release it and try and drive off...
It is easy enough to crack a case by over tightening the bolt or splitting it open.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts