Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is this worth getting? I am considering buying a wrangler, and I need a lowere low range in my rig. Is this kit worth getting in strength, and financially? I am very interested in hearing some good stories. I plan on running a stock motor, tranny, some F150 axles, and some 37" MTR's. Will this setup hold up to the abuse of a rubicon runner?

Dimitri

·
Registered
60,133 Posts
Just spend the extra coin and go atlas.

If you really need the gears, by the time you get done building up a 231 tcase, you are getting pretty close to the cost of a atlas.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Dimi -

If you're not in a hurry, I'll sell you my 231 with a TeraLow and AA SYE on it. I'm bumping up to an Atlas.

Paul

·
Registered
8,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Paul, when I sell my Bronco, I am getting a YJ. I am gonna be all over your setup if you will ahve it by summer time. I hope the new rig will be built by then

Dimitri

·
Non-Lemming
78,528 Posts
Flatty said:
Is this worth getting? I am considering buying a wrangler, and I need a lowere low range in my rig. Is this kit worth getting in strength, and financially? I am very interested in hearing some good stories. I plan on running a stock motor, tranny, some F150 axles, and some 37" MTR's. Will this setup hold up to the abuse of a rubicon runner?

Dimitri

I'd say stay far away from Tera gears. I've got a friend that
blew up 2 sets in is NP231. When the second set blew it cracked
the case in half. :eek: He's was running a stock 4.0L, 4.10 gears,
and 35's. The trail was not as tough as the Rubicon. After the
second det took out the t-case he went with an Atlas II.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
super good case, and good for the price too. But no twin sticks. No versatility. Get the atlas for $500.00 more, retail

·
Registered
362 Posts
gripguru said:
super good case, and good for the price too. But no twin sticks. No versatility. Get the atlas for $500.00 more, retail
Wonder if the Tera 2 low range selector will work on the rock-trac? According to the article above the shifter attachment is the same.

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Which one would you rather have?

A 4:1 NP231 is still a chain driven t-case which means some slack in the drivetrain.
I think the best thing about the Atlas(besides 4.3:1, twin sticks, bla, bla...) is that there is very little slack in it's gear drive. Power is transmited instantly so when you crest a large boulder and let off the gas the vehicle doesn't roll forward it just continues on smoothly.
It just seems that after you get a 4:1, a heavy duty slip yoke eliminator kit, and a 2-lo kit you're real near an Atlas in price. For a little more you gain so much.

Jes

·
Premium Member
3,013 Posts
Dimitri
I would suggest Atlas too. Look at the past vehicles you have built. You know in the end that is what you will most likely end up with. Do it once, do it right.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts