Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is this worth getting? I am considering buying a wrangler, and I need a lowere low range in my rig. Is this kit worth getting in strength, and financially? I am very interested in hearing some good stories. I plan on running a stock motor, tranny, some F150 axles, and some 37" MTR's. Will this setup hold up to the abuse of a rubicon runner?

Dimitri

·
Registered
7,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Paul, when I sell my Bronco, I am getting a YJ. I am gonna be all over your setup if you will ahve it by summer time. I hope the new rig will be built by then

Dimitri

·
Premium Member
79,687 Posts
Flatty said:
Is this worth getting? I am considering buying a wrangler, and I need a lowere low range in my rig. Is this kit worth getting in strength, and financially? I am very interested in hearing some good stories. I plan on running a stock motor, tranny, some F150 axles, and some 37" MTR's. Will this setup hold up to the abuse of a rubicon runner?

Dimitri

I'd say stay far away from Tera gears. I've got a friend that
blew up 2 sets in is NP231. When the second set blew it cracked
the case in half. :eek: He's was running a stock 4.0L, 4.10 gears,
and 35's. The trail was not as tough as the Rubicon. After the
second det took out the t-case he went with an Atlas II.

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
Which one would you rather have?

A 4:1 NP231 is still a chain driven t-case which means some slack in the drivetrain.
I think the best thing about the Atlas(besides 4.3:1, twin sticks, bla, bla...) is that there is very little slack in it's gear drive. Power is transmited instantly so when you crest a large boulder and let off the gas the vehicle doesn't roll forward it just continues on smoothly.
It just seems that after you get a 4:1, a heavy duty slip yoke eliminator kit, and a 2-lo kit you're real near an Atlas in price. For a little more you gain so much.

Jes

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.