Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I scored my second 231 for cheap. This one is out of a '87 YJ. My question is, the YJ someone put a 5.9L Cummins T/D engine in it...and with the stock tranny/tcase..do you think the Tcase will last too much longer? It works good (or seems to...)...think I should have it rebuilt or just throw it in?

·
Registered
157 Posts
Just toss it in Kelly. You will probably have to swap input shafts with your 249. Very easy. You will need a front output yoke from an XJ as the YJ one won't work and the 249 one won't fit.
Good luck.
Nathan

·
Registered
195 Posts
It really depends on how the guy you got the case from drove it. A 5.9L might have alot of power but if he drove it like a grandma because he was afraid of breaking stuff then its all good. But then again on the other hand if he drove it like he stole it, you might have a problem there. A 231 is chain driven so the main thing I would be worried about is how far the chain stretched. If there's alot of play between the front and rear yokes when its in 4wd then the chain needs to be replaced before I would use it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts