Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking into bending 2.5" *pipe* (yes 2 7/8" OD) sch40, but would have to have a 24" radius.

I would need to do a lot, say 40 per order so even if I could get a roller that big it'd suck. Presently another shop FAR AWAY is doing it, but I have no idea how. I can't really ask them; guess I could pretend to be a customer.

I realize this would be a huge die but I'm thinking there's a bender out there somewhere capable of this? The Enerpac EMT benders look like one possibility....maybe.

The JD2 model54 can't come close as I understand it, topping at 12.5"R

Anyone have any insight?

·
Premium Member
4,911 Posts
Whats the length of radius and bend angle? I have gotten away with cutting laminated form dies on my CNC plasma for weird jobs i was doing. I highly doubt this will work in your application, but if your length of bend is short, a machined punch and die in a press may work?

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The more I look at it seems this likely would be rolled as a die would be so huge. I'm thinking the only efficient way would be CNC of some sort.

I need a 90.

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
How far away is FAR AWAY? Have you searched for roll bending and/or metal forming shops in Colorado? I just did a quick google search and found three shops in Colorado that do heavy bending and forming of structural shapes, tube, pipe, and plate.

That's who I would look for to do it. And if the order is frequent enough, I'd look into how much the machine is to do it. Likely it is a high voltage 3 phase indutrial piece of equipment so that may be a limiting factor depending on your shop setup.

·
Registered
684 Posts
You would not want to use the HF or HULK style roller for that job.
More like an Eagle CP40...

Though if it is not a straight piece into a curve and a straight piece like doing individual sweeps, you COULD use the roller like the Hulk (if you can get a die for it) and roll until you hit your radius with a template, then roll a continuous piece then saw it in sections. You would want power driven rolls though!

·
Premium Member
695 Posts
quick thought;
Might a 2.5" galvanized rigid electrical 90* work?
This would be 2.875 O.D., and I bet without actually looking up the specs, would be very close to 24" radius

****Nevermind, bend radius id 10.5"

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How far away is FAR AWAY? Have you searched for roll bending and/or metal forming shops in Colorado? I just did a quick google search and found three shops in Colorado that do heavy bending and forming of structural shapes, tube, pipe, and plate.

That's who I would look for to do it. And if the order is frequent enough, I'd look into how much the machine is to do it. Likely it is a high voltage 3 phase indutrial piece of equipment so that may be a limiting factor depending on your shop setup.
That's the point, the order is frequent enough I would do it.

I was looking at the Baileigh *55 something last nite. It's 5hp 3ph which is no problem for my RPC

The problem is the price! I was hoping for more of Model54 pricing up to $8k but these machines easily hit $15 to $20k

May have to rethink this job unfortunately.

·
Premium Member
8,744 Posts

I was looking at the Baileigh *55 something last nite. It's 5hp 3ph which is no problem for my RPC

The problem is the price! I was hoping for more of Model54 pricing up to $8k but these machines easily hit $15 to $20k

Make your own die out of stacked plate. Long ass lever and/or some hydraulics ought to get er done...

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
Make your own die out of stacked plate. Long ass lever and/or some hydraulics ought to get er done...
He has 40 elbows to make per order. No way no how would I ever think that pulling that by hand would be a good idea. Not even if I was pissed off at my guys. :laughing: So the hydraulics would be a must imo. He also likely needs a machine to do the job more so than another project to engineer and trouble shoot through issues with his homemade die marking up the finished parts or squashing the pipe out of spec. I could easily be mistaken on that too.

The thing about a machine purchase like that is that it undoubtedly will bring in other work and likely lead you down a path of buying more machinery in that size and price range........so yeah, you may want to rethink it or just dive head first down that slippery slope. :laughing:

·
Registered
684 Posts

Not only that but your die to do 2.5" Sc 40 is around $820...
Smaller machines can be had but you are looking at the top end of the capabilities...

Edwards has a profile roller that works off their powerpack or their iron Workers... maybe a Twofer on the tools that way. they also have a bender attachment. I don't know what their dies cost.

Looks like it would require an Eagle CP60... http://www.trick-tools.com/Eagle_CP60_H_Roll_Bending_Machine_CP60_H_2223
and then the dies, I don't see a price on those. the machine is over 25k and the dies are probably close to a thousand or so a set.

·
Premium Member
8,744 Posts
He has 40 elbows to make per order. No way no how would I ever think that pulling that by hand would be a good idea. Not even if I was pissed off at my guys. :laughing: So the hydraulics would be a must imo. He also likely needs a machine to do the job more so than another project to engineer and trouble shoot through issues with his homemade die marking up the finished parts or squashing the pipe out of spec. I could easily be mistaken on that too.

The thing about a machine purchase like that is that it undoubtedly will bring in other work and likely lead you down a path of buying more machinery in that size and price range........so yeah, you may want to rethink it or just dive head first down that slippery slope. :laughing:
Get a long enough lever and you'd be golden! Buncha pussies! :flipoff2:

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I should also say my client would only be comfortable if they knew I was doing this all in house 'cause they know I'll come through.

If I'm waiting on subs they're just shifting the problem from them waiting to me waiting. IOW I need complete control or not at all.

I'm 7 hours from the cesspool known as Denver (thankfully). But using a "big city" contractor just ain't realistic despite wonderful inventions like freight companies.

·
Registered
684 Posts
This one says it'll do it at $19k not incl dies
Angle Roller (R-H55) | Baileigh Industrial | Baileigh Industrial

And yeah, I need to be working with the machine, not on the machine.

I'll look into Edwards, always wanted an ironworker!
Looking into it I don't think the Edwards has the capacity... Unfortunately...
Looks like the BIG one is 2.5" max... That Baileigh is nice enough. One of these days I will add one but until I NEED it I will continue to plug along with the HULK! LOL! it keeps making me money...

·
Premium Member
8,744 Posts
How precise do the bends have to be? Like NASA quality?

If it were me and it was a job that would be frequent enough that I could make good money on I would seriously dig a big-ass hole behind the shop and bury a heavy wall pipe in there with a bunch of scrap welded to the bottom of it. Pour a few yards of concrete around it and make a base for my bender out of it. Then I'd buy a 4x8 sheet of 1/2" and a quarter sheet of 3/16" and start cutting pieces for a laminated die.

Stack them up with some bolts holding them together and then start welding the seams with some 7018. Take a piece of the pipe and use it as a guide to grind it nice and smooth to fit after welding.... Maybe even use some bluing to get it real nice if it needs to be that nice.

die.jpg

EDIT: Blue would be the weld filling... I honestly bet you could knock out a damn decent die in a couple days of work if you really wanted to...

·
Premium Member
695 Posts
A friend of mine here in Roswell has an Eagle roll machine, I have asked if his machine can handle your request.
In order to bend properly, may have to be DOM, and not seamed pipe....

·
Registered
684 Posts
A friend of mine here in Roswell has an Eagle roll machine, I have asked if his machine can handle your request.
In order to bend properly, may have to be DOM, and not seamed pipe....
The ID doesn't matter at all. Period. and DOM really only deals with the seam on the ID. That said Pipe gets rolled and arched all the time you just put the "Seam" on the inside of the arch... Even DOM has a SEAM it is just drawn over a mandrel to flatten the seam on the inside...

·
Premium Member
8,744 Posts
The ID doesn't matter at all. Period. and DOM really only deals with the seam on the ID. That said Pipe gets rolled and arched all the time you just put the "Seam" on the inside of the arch... Even DOM has a SEAM it is just drawn over a mandrel to flatten the seam on the inside...
I remember reading somewhere that you don't want it on the absolute inside of the bend, but at like a 10 or 2 o-clock position from the inside... dunno how true it is, but I've always tried for that and never had any problems with the seam splitting or anything like that.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts