Pirate 4x4 banner

21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
I think billybob has the right idea assuming the money is there.

He doesn't address the hydraulics or follower though

I've seen plenty of custom benders for 1 part.

Some were made from a heavy plate table top.

Looks like it will take an Eagle 60...not 40 to roll. big $$$

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I think billybob has the right idea assuming the money is there.

He doesn't address the hydraulics or follower though

I've seen plenty of custom benders for 1 part.

Some were made from a heavy plate table top.

Looks like it will take an Eagle 60...not 40 to roll. big $$$
Or the Baileigh I linked in 14

·
Registered
11,202 Posts
Tubing roller could be easy enough to make, couple 1/2" plates to hold the bearings a couple feet apart, use those 4-bolt flange pillow blocks, 2" inside diameter, they might have enough angle capability to solidly mount all three bearings on the rear plate. Box type slideways are easy to fabricate with cold rolled flat stock for the "front upper" bearing plate for the movable roller.

Power the lower rollers with motorcycle chain and sprockets, old worn out junk is good enough for low speed. Section a couple old final drive sprockets to weld the teeth in sections of 6 teeth apiece to the OD of a large diameter steel disc to get a cheap large diameter sprocket (or just run a couple jackshafts).

Put the bottom rollers as far apart as you can to reduce the force required. WAG with the 24" radius they could be maybe 3' apart... All depends on how much travel you can get out of the movable roller before the pillow blocks run out of angular misalignment. Run out of travel, move the 2 bottom rollers closer on the plates and take a few links out of the chain.

·
Registered
11,202 Posts
Actually, screw all that. I was stuck on an open face like the baleigh machine

just buy the HF shit hand powered tube roller, measure it out and scale it up by 3-4x
apply same chain-drive shenanigans
Should get it in all together less than a couple thousand, all new material.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Actually, screw all that. I was stuck on an open face like the baleigh machine

just buy the HF shit hand powered tube roller, measure it out and scale it up by 3-4x
apply same chain-drive shenanigans
Should get it in all together less than a couple thousand, all new material.
Or Just buy Troy's HULK from SWAG, you only have 3" between plates so you will have very little material on the sides of the dies. so not much support

·
Registered
577 Posts
I know you've said that you aren't interested in subbing it out due to risk, but there is a local shop called Parker Fabrication here that does a lot of roll forming for CAT and other industrial work.(I'm not associated with them - its just a coincidence)

We've used them quite a bit to do roll forming of anodized 8020 sections to large and small radii without even marring the finish. They setup a poly roller for our job. Super quick and reliable turn around - 1-3 days at the most.

If we were higher production, he could setup a push form die as well, but we've only had them do ~60 total.

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
You guys remember that short-lived show "Big" or something (not the movie) around the time of Monster Garage....that guy Gadget....Gidget? something had custom fabbed his own ring roller for HUGE rings....I mean like the size of a 2 story building and up.

The whole point of the show was to take something normal and scale it up (way up) and make a working oversized replica. I always admired the fab and talent while simultaneously being nagged by the extremely practical side of me thinking what a waste of time and material. I mean none of the huge stuff they built had any real use once completed, most of it's probably scrapped by now.

Anyway I know I'm derailing my own thread but I think it's run its course.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Last input to this subject but if you are planning to do these repeatedly not just 40 and wait for the next person wanting something rolled, and you can afford the tool, buy it.
if it is going to be repeat business it is worth the expense.

I have been charging $20 for each bend I do (not including the materials) I did 6 pieces the other day to match a client provided template on client provided channel, less than 1 hour total. but I flat rate the bends at $20 whether with the tubing bender or the tubing roller. for a bulk order of 40 pieces of same radius bend, I'd probably just bid the entire job. especially if it is repeat customer. I'd love to have a machine like the eagle 60 or that Baileigh I just can't justify it right now. Maybe this summer, We shall see. There is a company near here that can roll 16" I Beam... but nothing smaller than I think 10" Beam.

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Last input to this subject but if you are planning to do these repeatedly not just 40 and wait for the next person wanting something rolled, and you can afford the tool, buy it.
if it is going to be repeat business it is worth the expense.

I have been charging $20 for each bend I do (not including the materials) I did 6 pieces the other day to match a client provided template on client provided channel, less than 1 hour total. but I flat rate the bends at $20 whether with the tubing bender or the tubing roller. for a bulk order of 40 pieces of same radius bend, I'd probably just bid the entire job. especially if it is repeat customer. I'd love to have a machine like the eagle 60 or that Baileigh I just can't justify it right now. Maybe this summer, We shall see. There is a company near here that can roll 16" I Beam... but nothing smaller than I think 10" Beam.
This is the thinking. We'll see. There is another part of this print that may require a very gentle radius of the same material. They're presently drawing it both ways.

If I could get just two orders out of them it would pay for 80% of the machine (assuming my time is "free" for those two jobs). Then anything after that is gravy.

And yeah, the HF roller uses slip fit bearings. SWAG sells a new set with most dies as they apparently fail quite often (I've not personally had any issues but don't roll much right now).

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Oh and the Baileigh says COO is Portugal. I thought that was interesting (but encouraging)

·
Registered
684 Posts
This is the thinking. We'll see. There is another part of this print that may require a very gentle radius of the same material. They're presently drawing it both ways.

If I could get just two orders out of them it would pay for 80% of the machine (assuming my time is "free" for those two jobs). Then anything after that is gravy.

And yeah, the HF roller uses slip fit bearings. SWAG sells a new set with most dies as they apparently fail quite often (I've not personally had any issues but don't roll much right now).
Never lunched a bearing yet in the HF roller or the Hulk, I do get bearings with every set of dies though so I keep the set with the dies.
They come with keys with every set of dies too. The Hulk makes me money though. when I can get the other machine/s I'll start to seriously advertise the service.

21 - 40 of 51 Posts