Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From what I hear... the 241C (chevy) cases have a different bolt pattern than 241D (dodge)

The bolt pattern is apperently clocked 90* on the 241C compared to the 241D... the question I have is when looking at the back of the trans, is this "clocking" of the pattern moved 90* clockwise or counterclockwise?

I'm trying to bolt a 241C to a dodge 46RE trans, but it will only be the range box for a doubler so I don't have to worry about it being turned at extreme angles... just need to know which way it will be turned so I can see if this will work.

Thanks,

Mike.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts

Don't know if this helps, but the top photo is the back of a GM NV4500 tailhousing. The bottom photo is a Dodge NV4500 tailhousing. If you were to put a gasket on the GM tailhousing and mark the top 12 o'clock hole. You would have to clock that gasket to the 3 o'clock hole on the Dodge tail housing for all holes of the gasket to line up

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
I was under the impression that the chevy used a symetrical bolt pattern while the dodge and ford flavors used a pattern with one bolt offset.

Your picture obviously shows otherwise, so am I nuts or was that the case at some point in time?

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was under the impression that the chevy used a symetrical bolt pattern while the dodge and ford flavors used a pattern with one bolt offset.

Your picture obviously shows otherwise, so am I nuts or was that the case at some point in time?
I was told that the pattern wasn't symetric but it was clocked 90*... like seen above.

MIke.

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
90* seems like a lot to me? I helped a buddy put a 241D in his Jeep (fixed yokes instead of slip yoke) behind a 700R4. The 241D is clocked quite nicely to the stock Chev adapter (maybe we drilled another bolt hole?---can't remember very well--if we did drill another hole, it was just one) and we're actually running the stock Chev front driveline past the 700r4 pan with the Dodge case. The 241C hangs pretty low while the Dodge case is clocked pretty nicely for a flatish belly pan. I'd say the difference is more around 30* or so?

We just swapped the input shaft out of the Chev 241 and put it in the Dodge 241. I tried to make some kind of a hybrid case out of it, but it just wasn't going to happen.

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
I'm amazed that just swapping the input shaft worked. I ran into an issue where a 99 231d wouldn't fit where a 97 231d had come out of due to a 1/4" difference in input shaft lengths.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts