Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok ive read alot on this subject already. I've got both cases split apart and ive looked at them closely. The 231 shaft is smaller than the 249. The gear cuts for the input shaft are different (skinny/flat) so i cannot simply swap the inputs. Now i know i can get a shaft made or ordered with the right length and gear cut, but looking at it it seems like you can swap the input gear ring out in both and use the 249 input. The only other difference i see the bearing the shaft goes through is skinnier on the 249, so it seems like this could work if you swap bearings and input gear. Anyone seen this done? I can only find one article where a people said they did this. One person said it made a really loud noise and didnt work, and the other person said it worked so far - few thousand miles.
If this has been covered on pirate already, sorry paypal wont work and cant get the red star yet.

·
Addicted to Gear Oil
9,984 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
can't you just get the correct np231 shaft from a junkyard? 21 or 23 spline depending on the trans it was behind. 4 cly had 21 and 4.0L had 23 spline.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i cant just swap another input in it. the splines i have now are both 23 spline, but i would have to find one that is the right length and the right spline cut(skinny/flat), and that had the same bearing size, cuz the input gear is grooved for each bearing.

ive got the bearings swapped now, but i dont know how to get the main input gear out of the housing, its held in by a snap-ring, but i cant get the gear pressed out. any ideas on the correct tool??
anyone tore apart a transfer case?

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
I'm assuming by your sig this is going in your ZJ
I had a 98 ZJ with 5.2 and the 249. I took a 231 out of a 98 TJ with the 4.0 and it bolted right in with no modifications. I got the the linkage at the dealership for a 93 ZJ with a 231 (some 93-94's came with them). The dealership even had the consol plate iwith the correct markings (2H, 4H, N, 4L). The entire swap took maybe 2hrs and cost under $50, of course then you need an SYE, 4:2:1, and rear drive shaft.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
read the first post i made. this is not a direct bolt in that takes under 2 hours, the shafts are different lengths, the grooves for the bearings in the shafts are different sizes and the input gear is a different cut.
my question now is does anyone know of a tool that can take the input gear out of the case? and has anyone tried swapping the bearing, input gear, and input shaft in these cases before? i have the option of a $100 input gear that will match the other case, but i would rather try swapping it(more fun and creative, and cheaper)

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
read the first post i made. this is not a direct bolt in that takes under 2 hours
I'm pretty sure he's trying to be nice and save you a lot of time and trouble. A direct bolt up should be an option thats out there, considering the input shafts of Jeeps are either 21 or 23.

·
Registered
21 Posts
When I did my 249-242 swap I had a 242 out of a 91 xj. Input shaft lengths were different so I pulled them both apart and put my input shaft or sun gear from my 249 into the 242 planetary. Works great.There is also info about this swap on www.nagca.com

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok, im sorry if im not being straightforward in my information or questions.
i;ve read the swap articles on mallcrawlin.com and jeepsunlimited and other places i could find.

i know you can find transfer cases that could prob make this more a bolt in project, BUT i bought the 231 that i did because it had a SYE and i got a good price on it. NOW, in 1994 JEEP switched from a think style input gear cut to a flat style input gear cut.(or vise-versa cant remember without looking at the cases again) SO, taking my 249 input gear shaft and putting it into my 231 WILL NOT WORK without changing the front input bearing and the front input gear that the shaft goes into. MY PROBLEM now is i cant get that gear out of the case(dont know what tool) and i dont know if anyone has tried switching these bearings/gear/input before and it worked.....
on the sites i found, most people got bolt in's or got custom inputs made, only 2 people i think tried it like that and one said it worked and i think one said it didnt.

·
Premium Member
9,603 Posts
When I did mine it looked like snap ring pliers would get that gear out. It may be pressed in though, and I don't know if you can heat the case without heating the gear.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i did pull the snap ring out, but i dont know if the gear is pressed in or just in tight. dont know what tool i need to extract the gear, since the only opening is the input shaft opening and too small to wedge something through to push out the gear, any help appreciated.

·
Registered
44 Posts
there is more to it than just 21 or 23 spline the later 249 uses a 23 spline input that is a medium length . So for instance yjs have the shortest input @ 21 or 23 splines tj uses a very long input and zj needs one that is in between the two at 23 splines
this is sometimes a difficult swap as different years and models will yea or nea your progress

·
Premium Member
11,119 Posts
My Only Question Is Does Anyone Know How To Pull The Input Gear Out Of The T-case
It doesn't come out. Pretty sure it's a non-serviceable item.

(you're talking about the outer ring gear that the planetary assembly meshes with, right?)

I've got a few buckets of NP231 parts, when I'm over at my shop today after work I'll look and see if I have the input gear you're looking for. If I can find one you can have it for the cost of shipping.

If you really get stuck, go to www.rsgear.com (or call 1-877-774-4327). Rockland Standard Gear. Ask to talk to Karen Hunt, tell her exactly what year everything else, and you should be able to get the input gear from them. They've helped me with a bunch of stuff in the past.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
thanks alot, ill check those things out. i had a friend at work today try a bunch of different pullers on it and he couldnt make anything work, he says i might have to take a torch to the outside of the case and hope if falls out. i might call southern gear, a t-case shop, and ask how they take it out.

and sorry for misunderstandings i think i have been refering to the sun gear.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts