Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I got my TF999, I have a 258 carbed 6cyl, I was using an Ax15 manual, All I got now is my 999, and a new torque converter, what else will I need to make my Jeep run? I guess I will need a flex plate, and a crank angle sensor??? any thing else or what am I missing, I havent messed with this before and Im a little un-sure of what other parts I will need. thanks.

·
Banned
506 Posts
come on now jared i know you know that a carbarated motor doesnt need or have or ever came with a crank angle sensor, just bolt the damn thing up, you motor only needs two things to work, spark and fuel, a tranny has nothing to do with that on a carbed motor, so bolt it up and your ready to peel out

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Jeepmangled87 said:
Ok, so I got my TF999, I have a 258 carbed 6cyl, I was using an Ax15 manual, All I got now is my 999, and a new torque converter, what else will I need to make my Jeep run? I guess I will need a flex plate, and a crank angle sensor??? any thing else or what am I missing, I havent messed with this before and Im a little un-sure of what other parts I will need. thanks.
you might need a seal extension for the output shaft to mate with the t-case input gear from AA.

·
Registered
6,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think some times I forget I have a carbed motor, its been so long since Ive popped the hood.:flipoff2: , any one else know what parts I may need?

·
Registered
17,626 Posts
I did this exact swap on my 89,
You will need the flexplate (good luck finding the right one, we had to search every jeep dealer in the US before we found one on the east coast) You will have to hunt the junkyards for the kickdown linkage rod, since jeep has discontinued that part. I found mine from a guy here on the pbb, and got it for 25 bucks. You will need a new shifter, I used a B&M floor shifter, which does the job. You will also need a longer shift cable, than what comes with the shifter you buy. You will also need to get a new input shaft for the T case. Other than that, it shouldn't be THAT difficult... It only took me 4 months to get it running when I did the swap :D
Scott

·
Registered
589 Posts
This is the LOKAR kickdown I used for my TF-999 when I swapped to the 4.0L ($53.95). I would have liked for it to be about 4 inches longer but it worked with the throttle body setup. It would also work on the carb. You might have to rid a bracket for it but that's easy enough.

As for the Flexplate, those are hard to find. Look for an AMC car with the 258 and a TF 904, 999.

B&M is the way to go on the shifter. Mine is older and was not the easiest install but it works.

Good luck

·
Registered
17,626 Posts
The problem with that lokar kickdown is that it is a cable operation, and the carbed is an actual steel rod. It might work, but its gonna require some work for the 4.2 carb.
Scott

·
Registered
68 Posts
You will need the flexplate ... You will have to hunt the junkyards for the kickdown linkage rod, since jeep has discontinued that part
1. Buy a new Flexplate, they're about $40.
2. If you buy used, inspect it for cracks.
3. Did you get the Torque Converter?
4. If not, they're engine specific. and
5. New ones are avaliable for about $100,
6. If you're gonna do rock-crawling, etc,
7. You can specify stall speeds for about $200 - $250
8. And have a custome Torque Converter built.
9. Kickdown linkages are the same on 360/TF727's.
10. Any ol' Automaitc FSJ Wagoneer should supply the parts.

·
Registered
4,462 Posts
1badPOS said:
You will need the flexplate (good luck finding the right one, we had to search every jeep dealer in the US before we found one on the east coast) You will have to hunt the junkyards for the kickdown linkage rod, since jeep has discontinued that part.
Forget the Jeep dealers for a flexplate. A decent transmission shop will get them easily. I have bought three of them recently from a local shop. Who cares if they aren't factory issue?

Also the kickdown linkage can easily be found on any AMC Eagle with a 258 in the junkyard. Get the complete throttle/kickdown linkage from the same car.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I have a question on the kickdown linkage.. Is that what makes the trannie shift harder, and softer as the gas is applied ? If so, I Have a friend who sand drags jeeps, and he is pushing 450 to 500 horsepower, and all he did, was wire the linkage or arm back, He said it will give the jeep a stiffer shift, Am I talking about the same thing you all are ? If so, is this something that Jarod can do ??? Get ready, Jarod , this is fun, I am still waiting on my jeep to get done.. It is now in the trannie shop, They found me a flex plate, and hopefully my CPS unit will read it, and maybe ...just maybe I will be back on the trail this weekend..:D

·
Registered
783 Posts
Jeepmangled87 said:
I think some times I forget I have a carbed motor, its been so long since Ive popped the hood.:flipoff2: , any one else know what parts I may need?
its been way to long .

·
Registered
6,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
LEVE said:

1. Buy a new Flexplate, they're about $40.
2. If you buy used, inspect it for cracks.
3. Did you get the Torque Converter?
4. If not, they're engine specific. and
5. New ones are avaliable for about $100,
6. If you're gonna do rock-crawling, etc,
7. You can specify stall speeds for about $200 - $250
8. And have a custome Torque Converter built.
9. Kickdown linkages are the same on 360/TF727's.
10. Any ol' Automaitc FSJ Wagoneer should supply the parts.
I got the tranny out of an 87 YJ, but the guy said it had a 4.0 in front of it, so will the T-converter work with my 258?, I got a TF727 so maybe the kicksdown linkage will still be on it. I guess Ill start looking for a flex plate, do I just tell them the engine and tranny, and thats it?

·
Registered
4,462 Posts
Jeepmangled87 said:

I got the tranny out of an 87 YJ, but the guy said it had a 4.0 in front of it, so will the T-converter work with my 258?
Yes. The torque convertor bolts to the flexplate and all of the torqueflite flexplates use the same bolt pattern for the torque convertor. Ask for a flexplate for a '86 CJ w/258 and 999 and you'll get the right part. It will bolt to your YJ 258 and to the torque convertor.

·
Registered
3,953 Posts
Here's a hint on the flex plate, I here the sponsor of this forum sells Jeep parts wacky huh? If it really was an '87 4.0 it was from a cherokee. Use a 258 flex plate and you are good to go.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts